Hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawnut101, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have to give a guy an estimate for chopping down some hedges. They are about 4-5 feet high, and the guy wants me to chop them down to about a foot. I plan on doing this with a chain saw. There are about 20 of them to do. I told him that I would call him with a price. I'm thinking that it will take about 2 hours. And then I would have a dump charge of 20 dollars for each load. So I was thinking about $100-150 for this job. Does that sound like a good price? Or is this really low? Thanks for the help.

2. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

For that kind of work you should be getting $45-60 an hour, depending on area....so ya your price is ballpark

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I think you need to up your price a little to somewhere around $500.00 or more depending on what the job looks like. You need to explain to your customer that it may take years for them to come back and if its dry around there like it is here you may kill them. I would let your customer know that the best time to do a major cutback is in the spring so the plants have all summer to try and recover.

4. Lawnut101

I already told him that. He said that he thinks that they will come back. I was like ok. It's pretty wet around here right now. Thanks for your help. Would you really get someone to pay you $500 for a job like that?

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Like I said, without seeing the job for myself its hard to say what price to charge. I have several jobs where the shrubs are 4-5' high and about the same around. It depends on the type of bushes and how low they are to the ground. You said you were just going to take a chainsaw and cut them off. Do you think they will come back if you do it that way? You will need to take time with each bush and selectively prune it back to the size you want if you want them stay healthy and have a decent shape to them when they grow out and that takes time and time is money. Remember different bushes handle cutbacks in different way's, oh and you may be getting more rain than we are here but its getting late for the kind of cutback you are describing. Good luck.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Personally, I hate doing jobs like that. 20 shrubs is a good many. It will end up being more work than you anticipated. Much more to haul than anticipated. Charge more!! If you do this job for $100, you will be kicking yourself about 1/4 the way through.

7. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

yeah the price sounds a little low to me also,
    2 hours to do the cut back + hauling or all together?

8. Lawnut101

I'd say about an hour or hour and a half of cutting back. He just wants me to use a chain saw. And an hour or hour and a half for cleanup. I think that there will be about 2 truck loads of stuff. So heres my figuring

2.5 man hoursX $40/hour=100
    +
    2 dump charges @ $20 a piece=40

total $140

I'm only 17, but I do great work. However, there isn't much of a market to charge more than 20/hr around here. People tell me I'm too high any time I try and charge them any more. It's really kinda frustrating. Everyone on here says that they can charge about $50-65/hr. But I can't find those customers here. Where can I find work like that?

9. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

Don't tell them you are charging X per hour...it will sound high because they don't realize how much you are getting done in a short time period. Decide the time it will take, and what you want to make hourly...then present the price as a whole for the job

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Your going to use a chain saw on a hedge? No wonder you are thinking of only charging $100. You don't know what your doing. :hammerhead: