hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fullburn, Apr 13, 2008.

1. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

Looking to purchase a trimmer that will handle 10'-12' shrubbery. I see tall shrubs all the time that are trimmed very nice, I doun't believe a ladder is used because of reach an depth issues. What tool works well for these taller shrubs?

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

try one of the stihl or echo combi systems with an extension. You shouldn't have a problem. I have the stihl and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.
  3. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

how high or deep can you reach while standing on ground, do they telescope?
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have Echo's HCA-265 and it does a good job on taller hedges although it gets a little heavy after a while. It has a 20" cutting bar that can be rotated to whatever angle you need to cut and the 25.4 cc engine is powerful enough to handle just about anything.
  5. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Troy-bilt 4 cycle with a hedge trimmer attachment and an extra 3 foot extension that I have used for trimming tall hedges. It's not supposed to be commercial duty, but its held up fine for 4 or 5 years now . I have an echo sting trimmer also and I personally like the feel of the troy bilt so much I use mine daily as a string trimmer and the echo stays on the trailer. And it's a lot cheaper than the stihl or echo units. you can get the power head (with a string trimmer attachment) and hedge attachment for about $300 total.
  6. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

I wonder if power pruner has a hedge trimmer atachment, I'd like to get as long as possible for those tough to reach shrubs, hemlocks, upright arborvatie an such.