hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mggreen, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

Have a new high end client coming up and they have tons of hedges and I have never done them before. Is there a good way to attack them and what kind of trimmer would be good to buy?

2. Yard.Barber

Yard.Barber LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest finding family or friends who have them and practice quickly. especially if you are dealing with a high end client

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Don't go cheap buy a echo and a split boom trimmer with a hedger trimmer attachment is a good tool

4. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

The split boom/hedge trimmer attachment is a great tool to have, especially if the hedges are tall. I use a Stihl KM 90 with a hedge trimmer attachment and I have an extension pole to reach an extra 3 ft if I need to. As far as regular hedge trimmers go, echo, stihl, any good name trimmer will serve you well.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of tips about hedges. I live in S. FL and trimming is the majority of our business and its a pain and you need to be careful on pricing. Trimming hedges is like moving you always underestimate the time it will take you and the amount of clippings you will have. Whatever price you come up with, double it.

A few questions to ask yourself...
    Will you need to use a ladder? Price increase
    Is there any slopes in the landscaping you will have to compensate for? Price increase
    Is it a one time deal or a regular monthly job? One time deal price increase.
    Does the client have large beds that need to be cleaned from the clippings? If so price increase.

You get the point, trimming should be charged at a premium. It takes a toll on your body and your equipment. The clean up is more time consuming than the actual trimming Stihl or Shindy are your only two choices.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what cpel2004 said !.........

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Exactly what Yard Barber and Cpel said. Being in RI, I'd say it's a one time job. I always figure on hour of trimming is a minimum of one hour for cleanup. I'd suggest you go with a smaller trimmer bar. Buy a decent name brand from your dealer. You will have much more control with a 24 inch trimmer bar than a 30 inch. Find someone you know to let you trim there bushes first just for practice if you never have done this before.

8. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in RI and it is a 1 to 3 time a year job. I always charge by the hour!!

9. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Get practice and maybe have someone with u that is experienced...don't want to lose that customer

10. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

if you have to hire a helper for this job , make sure they have the ability to trim. if not i would do as the rest of the guys on here have said. practice practice practice ... good luck with new customer.