hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CooperLawncare, Jun 10, 2002.

1. CooperLawncare

CooperLawncare LawnSite Member

How do you guys charge for hedge trimming?

2. Per shrub

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I figure out how many hours it is going to take from arrival untill departure and multiply that times $50.

I also have a minimum charge if the job is less than an hour.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

IMO, it depends on the equipment you have. If you have a normal gas trimmer (chain saw style) I'd guess $45/hour is OK. On the other hand, I have two different size pole trimmers, and a trimming ladder, for which I charge $60/$65 per hour.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I charge by the hour and factor in time to haul debris away to dump, usually another 30 to 60 minutes depending on distance.
  6. no guess work we put em on the clock 60$ an hour and a cleanup charge for the clippings .
    Cleanup time is the factored in at the same rate when the job is done and everything is cleaned up thats when the clock stops.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have a problem with that, but it still depends on the equipment. Using electric powered trimmers as has been stated many times, or those clunky standard style gas powered trimmers can't hold a candle to pole trimmers. It's liker using a 21 inch mower and charging the same rate as a 72 inch rider, which can done, but either you are losing money using the rider, or the customer has a hole in their for paying for using a 21 inch mower.

8. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $30.00 per man hour for shrub trimming and cleanup. I do not like to quote a contract price. Personally will not trim shrubs against a profit clock. I like to reduce the size of shrubs almost to the brink of being bare. Shrubs that are in any sort of series must also be corrected to be to be same height and diameter as each other. Flat prices just do not work for job or per piece. I wish more home owners could understand that someone who charges less removes far less. In the end a higher price can be a better value hands down.

Love to prune! Would do it all day every day.

Pruning is one of the few opportunities to really show what you got! Discipline, and lots of it! Yet there is still room to grow.
  9. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

$75.00 a hour + Disposal fee!!!!!!! That's all
  10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get $45-$65/hour trimming, but I always charge a flat rate. I can live with $45/hour but I'm always looking for ways to speed up the process w/o losing quality.

I have a large shrub job I do 4x/year and get $175 each time for it. The first year it took me nearly 4 hours each time ($43.75/hour) but now it takes me about an hour and a half each time (about $117/hour) because I've been able to speed up the process with better equipment/technique.

Unlike Robert, I hate to trim. I used to love it but the labor is so much greater and so much harder on the body. Particularly jobs where you have to go up and down a ladder.

Speaking of which... Switchless, what is a "trimming ladder"? Is this just an ordinary ladder used in your trimming operation or is there some wonderful ladder out there designed particularly for trimming tall shrubs that I need to know about??? :)