hedge trimming

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by aka lawn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. aka lawn

aka lawn LawnSite Member

Headed out this morning to do my first hedge trimming job. A little nervous. I have never done any hedge trimming

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

You will do fine. Take a little off at a time. You can take more off but you can't put it back on and make sure you clean everything up.

3. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Even poor pruning is better than no pruning. So whatever you do it'll be an improvement.
    It's really going to work your back & shoulders so take lots of breaks.

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Aint that the truth... I do hedge trimming at least a couple times each week, and it still hurts my arms wielding that tool. Got a hedge trimming job tomorrow that's going to take close to 2 hours. Hurray for hedges!

5. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

I do almost nothing but hedge trimming from april to october ( at least 4 days a week) and these guys are right. Take a few breaks (i take a 5 min break for every 3 tanks of gas) and don't be nervous. The more you do it, the better it goes. And don't trim too aggresively for the first times. Good luck ont the trimming jobs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. aka lawn

aka lawn LawnSite Member

The job went good. I can not believe how much it has changed the look of the house. I pulled three short ones that had grown wild looking then started trimming on the rest. The first one is about dead i may pull it . Waiting on the property manger to decide. Over all not a bad job. Just one question which is the better hedge trimmer. All i got now is clippers. I think i am going to start a new thread on that one

7. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

Try a few hedge trimmers and decide for yourself. Everyone has his own favorites. I like maruyama and stihl. I also have an echo hedge trimmer but i wouldn't buy it again. I'm not saying it's a bad machine but i don't like the feel of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

if your looking to buy a hedge trimmer make sure you get one with a double sided blade...it makes things much easier and faster

9. aka lawn

aka lawn LawnSite Member

Well i bought a ryobi power head and the hedge trimmer attach ment. Will see how this works. All i could get with the budget i had. If this is something i am going to get into o will get me a better one when i see if it is going to pay off and i can save for it.

10. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl KM110r with the 135* articulating trimmer and boy does it kill your back! It is less stressful on my body than the Little Wonder handheld I borrowed off my uncle though! You got hit with ALL the exhaust. I would be sweating like crazy after one bush!