Hedge work question, help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey all, I need to ask for your advice on how do you go about pricing hedge trimming work?
    I have to bid on this commercial job and they have a tone of hedge, shrubs,etc...
    Any help would be grateful....
    Thanks*trucewhiteflag*

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

time.... and of course effort.
    small, medium, large shrubs??? trash/debris clean up?

it's all based on time.... and how much your worth...

3. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

Carolina is right. i started doing it last year and ran into the same problem and just decided to charge my hourly rate. maybe for a more precise estimate just go to each shrub and estimate how long each one will take and add them all up for an estimated sum. its all about what you are worth per hour

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Your calculator is your friend. Break the job down into smaller pieces, divide the single shrubs into small-medium-large and guesstimate how much time for each then count. For hedge rows just take a 15'-20' section and again guesstimate your time. Then measure the hedge and do the math. Then you just have to know your costs so you have your man hour rates calculated correctly. When you present your bid include the numbers "162 shrubs and 347 lft hedges". The client will be impressed at your attention to detail.

The only way to get better at bidding is to record your times at various tasks. This way you can get better at fine tuning your bids.

5. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

It is all about your time and what it is worth. For small I usually charge $3-5, mediums $5-9, large $9-15. I have also charged by the hour, sometimes comes out about the same. :usflag:

6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

great advice all, I'll try that, counting and measuring.
    Thanks.....