hedges

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kamiakaze, Jun 1, 2008.

1. kamiakaze

kamiakaze LawnSite Member

Could anyone give me any ideas how to get roots out of 20 yr old hedges, i cut the hedges out but now still have roots in the ground ,cant get any equipment in the back yard to remove them with

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I've taken a ton of these out in the past year. You can dig up the root ball with a spade in about 15 minutes per bush. You should be able to cut any roots with the spade, if not then chain saw them once you have uncovered them.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess my best suggestion would be to get out the shovel and start digging. Use an axe or spade to chop the roots. If you use a chain saw, be prepared to waste the chain cutting in the dirt, we have an old junk chain especially for this tpye of stuff.

Or, if this isn't an option rent a dingo or similar piece of equiptment that might fit.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Most rental yards have small walk behind stump grinders for use that are not much larger than 21" mowers.

If they'd be suitable for your particular task, I couldn't say.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Definitively would work, the stumps and root balls would grind out quick.

If you do it by hand- I like using a Maddox Pick, or a pick axe, and I sharpen the flat end like an axe.