Hedges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homeworks, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Homeworks

Homeworks LawnSite Member

How often do hedges need to be trimmed 2- 3 times a year, every month??

Same question in regards to shrubs/small trees

thank you:(

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the type of bush. Also, on how much maintenance the owner is willing to pay for.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have offered up to three options for shearing evergreens.

1- Typically shearing is done after the first week of July in conjunction when the blooming cycles of other specimens are mostly complete if they want it done yearly. This helps promote blooming the following year, and saves us from making two trips to the same site.

2- If they would like it done twice a year, then I will shear them in late June and again in late September.

3- For those who like a neat, kempt appearance I put them on an every 6-week schedule not to exceed 4 shears in any season.

An often important and overlooked process is deadheading blooms to promote flowering the following season. Rhodo's are often overlooked, and are a great source of income.

If you are shearing during the hotter months because your scheduling wont allow you to wait, try to do it in the am (noon:30 here) and after the peak heat of the afternoon (2:30pm here). You should also keep hoses on your trucks to hose them down afterwards. This helps to prevent burning the foliage in the summer.

Hope this helps.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's like what 65hoss said. It depends on the kind of bush. Take forsythia, for example. It your customer wants them to be kept separated from others, you'll need to trim them back at least twice, if not three, times a year. They grow like weeds.

But if they want them to be a "privacy" hedge, then maybe only once a year to keep them shaped and attractive.

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What time of year should Holly's be pruned??????????

LAWNS AND MOWER

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I like pruning Hollys in the summer, when it's good and hot.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Hollies can be pruned most anytime.
    American hollies should be heavily pruned when transplanted.
    If you want to see the colored berries, then avoid pruning after flwering and during the heat of the summer as these time periods could prevent the shrub from producing new berries.

Bob

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know a website or a book that has a list of trees or bushes or flowers and gives a basic hint how to take care of them: trim/prune/cut and water? I have no idea whats what in my yard and i would like to plant flowers as a new service this year if i can find out enough about them.

9. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

All I really do is PRUNE and I would recommend looking on Oregon State websites.....you can get hold of some good books!
    Anyonecan cut a SQUARE or any shape....the trick to pruning is to have flowers and/or berries in SHAPE......each region will have DIFFERENT intervals. Also,each site will be specific with it's own unique micro-climate.......:)