HEELLLLLPPPPP!!!! w/bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjackson1, Jun 14, 2005.

1. cjackson1

cjackson1 LawnSite Member

I am trying to place a bid with the city I live in to cut the grass/weeds of the city owned lots. This would include clean up of the debris also. They are asking for a price per sq meter and I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me a place to start? :dizzy: :help:

2. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Price per sq meter? Detroit's still in the US right? I guess the WTO ruckus out here in Seattle a few years back didn't accomplish much :) Politics aside, what are you really asking? I think you should be able to come up with a rough figure per sq ft based on the properties you already do, and your overhead (gotta do your math!). Then convert ft to meters if that's what they require. And since it's a city bid, you already know what their paying right? The price they are paying is a matter of public record right?
    You just have to do the numbers (your own) and see if you can do it for less and still make out ahead. In a ideal world anyway :) .... Oly

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Fixed costs (plus) variable costs (plus) labour burden (plus) profit (equals) end price. Plug in your numbers and come up with the answer.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

1 sq meter =10.764 sq ft

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

They should have detailed records of the size of their properties. Ask to see their documentation on what size the properties are, go out and measure a couple to see if they "jive", then figure out your price from there. Sounds like it could be a sweet deal for you.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

A word to the wise. . .I looked into doing the weed abatement thing for my city. All sounded good and well until I saw that they had 3 categories for how they pay: light, medium, heavy. All I was equiped to handle was "light" because for medium and heavy, you had to have a tractor with a front end loader and way of transporting debris (dumptruck). When I looked at it and what they paid per sq. ft., by the time I bought even old junkers for a truck and loader, added more insurance, etc., I'd be working for close to min. wage with all that risk. Not to mention working in the worst parts of the city on a regular basis. Here's the best part, they worked on a system of 2 strikes. If the "inspector" wasn't happy with your work for any reason, you had to go back and redo the prop for free. If it happened again you're out! Last thing I need is to go in debt to work min. wage and get stuck with my debt when some low class "inspector" gets me run off.

Not to discourage you, hopefully your situation is better there. But be sure of what you're getting into.

7. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

i do work for a township around here and make excellent money at it. i charge by the hour and that is it. 60 an hour and they never complain. plus i get damages. On one job i trashed a set of blades after cutting off the top of a masterlock and the chain. The president of the village was right there and he said "just bill us for it." Hopefully i will be taking over there snow and i am thinking 1.82 per linear foot. yes for a house with 100 feet of sidewalk it would be 182.00 when i lived in kenosha we did that for that price. one gas staion never got there sidewalks done after a snow. took the skidsteer and plowed them....measured up after i was done. 326 feet of walk 593.32 made in about 15 minutes after loading and unloading

It can be very profitable but you have to bid it right and be prompt with your work