HEH, I MUST be a scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paponte, Aug 11, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Kinda funny, but I bought 2 pairs of Craftsman hedge trimmers today. I bet that they wouln't make it past the week!

I saw the sale, and said I would give them a shot. The guys complain about the little wonders being too big and heavy for trained specimens. Definitely feel like a scrub, but hey if they last a day, I'll pay for them 4 times over. :D

You guys can kick me around with comments for being a scrub.

On a serious note, has anyone had experience with commercial trimmers that are small, light weight, gas, affordable? Smaller shrubs, or as stated pom poms, spiral etc., are easier if you have a compact pair of trimmers. Thanks for the input. :cool:

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Next your gonna be heading down to Wild Willie's Used car lot for a '91 Geo Metro cuz the boys got tired of drivin a big truck. Where are you gonna put the clippings???

Anyways I only use MTD push mowers. Really lightweight, bag nicely (just don't try to mulch), and the price is right. Plus I only need a new one every other year and I have a couple old ones for parts.

Whatever fits at the time.

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

SCRUB!!!!!!!!

Naaaaaawwwww, I have two craftman 22" trimmers myself.....Have an Echo also. If I am trimmin hedges all day I can sling em around no problem. The hedges don't care what ya use on em, and they come out exactly the same no matter which ones I use. Bought em last spring. Stuck with the echo for the moment, they are gettin sharpened.;)

Wait Im a scrub:(

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

[​IMG] Mmmmmkay.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

:D LMAO!!:D

6. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I KNOW what you mean...

Someone posted a thread on "list your equipment". I felt like a REAL scrub - oh well, first year solo. Use whatever makes you money, right?

7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a pair of those Crapsman hedge trimmers. Didn't make it through one single job. We killed them in 2 hours, and ended up buying Stihl hedge trimmers. I would consider the Sthil hedge trimmers to be light, since I'm able to use them for long periods without a problem.

Amanda

8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Have 1 brand of weedeater that stay on the truck for very fine shrub trimming;better than the commercial units for clipping a few stray shoots. I don't see a problem with that since they are lighter than a commercial unit but faster than manual pruners.

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Barkley, but I read your reply and about went through the roof. Not because of you, or anything. It's because I spent 45 minutes taking apart a MTD just to replace the pull cord. I couldn't believe was a lousy set-up they had and all that I had to go through just to replace the darn thing. I'll NEVER buy an MTD after that experience.....

B

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a gas hedge trimmer.....CRAFTSMAN.....It was purchased new with my then new SEARS credit card in 1988. Sharpened it about 4 times, still runs and cuts great. It has a 20.3 cc engine on it. Only thing I wish it had would be a primer bulb. As it take about 30 pulls to get it started after sitting all year.

It has an 18" bar.

Its correct name is a CRAFTSMAN BUSHWACKER.

It calls for 16:1 fuel mix (gets 80:1 now!)

While I don't use it every day, when its trimming time it gets used more than a homeowner ever would.

Has a grease fitting and all.

Think I replaced the spark plug once or twice, thats IT!

JUNK - NOT

But their newer stuff sure is!