Height adjustment on Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, Jan 19, 2003.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have grown close to my EPS Z that I bought last year. I am looking into getting a Turf Tracer in the Spring, but I really like being able to cut at 1/4" increments. What are the chances of seeing 1/4" adjustments on the Turf Tracers? I know that I would like it when trying to mow beside where the Z cut.

I realize that the difference may never even be noticed. I had just noticed that the turf tracer was only available in 1/2" adjustments and didn't know how much trouble it would be to offer 1/4" adjustment. Thanks
  2. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

We just added 1/4" thick washers on top of the existing ones to get the finer adjustments, once you figure out the size they cost less than $1 for four.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Chariot Happy New Year!
    Just put Quarter" Washers On the Ajustment Pins. Walker mowers does this And so do i.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Chariot,

A 1/4" difference isn't that big of a deal, unless the indicated height on your EPS is not reading true. For instance, let's say you have an older rider. It spent a lot of time in the field and on the trailer. As a result, the chains supporting the deck have slid down in their slots. Now instead of cutting at 3 1/4", the actual blade height is 2 3/4". If you're setting your Turf Tracer at 3", you'd be okay; however, if you would set it at 3 1/2", you would have a 1/2" difference. This may be a noticeable difference.

If you're setting a new walk behind on the same property as an old rider, I would check the blade height on the rider to make sure they match up. This isn't a big deal. It's just something to keep in mind.

Changing from 1/2" to 1/4" increments wouldn't be impossible (Of course, that's easy for me to say since I'm not an engineer!). We hear this comment from time to time. I'll pass it on to the powers that be here at Exmark, and we'll see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, how many other walk behind owners would like to see 1/4" height adjustments, instead of the current 1/2" differences? If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Talk to you later,

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I have responded twice to this thread and it has not shown up yet. Anyway, The 1/4" increments are handy and are REALLY simple to make. We just bought new 1/4" washers that fit on top of the old ones on the top of the deck posts, that gave us the extra heights. Total cost was lees than $1. If Exmark just included a set of these extra washers then anybody could have 1/4" adjustments from 1 3/4" and up quite easily.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

How about using 1/4" washers between the frame and the pin that goes through the support rod? Just an Idea
  7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Good info guys. That was to easy for me to think of.
  8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Do what we did:

Drill your own.
    Takes about an hour per machine.

Just be sure to drill them perpendicular to the fatory holes. ie. front to back instead of side to side. That way you'll not weaken the "dowell".

You don't need but 2 or 3 in your most common height of cut ranges.