Height Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matth04, Nov 28, 2005.

1. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I just bought a used Exmark Metro, and was wondering how to adjust the deck height. Is there any way to change it in the back, or is it just done by the front wheels?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, there is, its a royal pain though i would imagine, check on exmarks website, look up the manual for your model # and find the part in there about how to change it. I wouldn't reccomend doing it though.

3. mcwlandscaping

Ok, using this link, go to page 34. Find the part towards the top of the page labeled "Axle Height and caster position". That should tell you how to do it. Good Luck! It may take a second or two to load and it continues onto page 35. The chart on page 35 gives you all the different height configurations.

http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/103-2989.pdf

4. McCauley3

McCauley3 LawnSite Member
    from WF, Tx

Matt, the deck height adjustment on the metro isn't as tedious as it seems. It's quite simple really, there are 3 ways to adjust the deck position. First is the caster spacers. Second are the spacers for the blade bolt. Third is the axle position. The axle adjustment takes the most effort, but can be done in a couple of minutes. Loosen the two bolts holding the axle in place, put a jack underneath the mower, jack it up, remove the bolts, put the axle in the setting you want (A-E) and put the bolts back. The manual tells you the settings it recommends to maintain proper deck rake , so just go by it.

5. mcwlandscaping

Thats it?? Wow, i thought it would take longer. Glad you posted!! Thank link i gave you will still tell you how to do it

6. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate the help. saved me an hour trying to figure it out on my own.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You are correct at Caster adjustment, and blade spacer adjustment but it ain't that easy on axle bolt adjustment. As soon as you move the axle bolts down or up you have to readjust both brake and drive linkage on both sides which mean you have to pull clotter pin out and rethread linkage till it gives enough pull with drive belt and fit with brake on both sides, if correct it will pull mower if not it will not drive mower. It takes some extra time depending how competent you are. If you are not familiar with ECS system or pistol grip, you'd better have eXmark tech do it for you otherwise it will be adjusting back and forth like crazy to fine tune or you have lopsided driving mower.
    That is one of reasons I sold my Metro, gone and forever belt system wb. Rain pours it sucks, greasing gear case and such, can't even back up like hydro.. etc. Twin hydro all the way.

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I/ve changed the axle adjustment 3 times, and you do get a bit faster at it. Probably 15 min. max. Prefer to do it in the shop, but it could be done on a site.
    I consider it a "seasonal" adustment.
    Have not had to do any other adjustments though.
    With a fixed deck belt, this is part of why you are saving money over a floater hydro.

My 2.0547 cents, adjusted for inflation.

9. McCauley3

McCauley3 LawnSite Member
    from WF, Tx

MTR, you are correct and I left out a critical step. Obvioulsy, my couple minute theory doesn't hold true with the brake and linkage system adjustments. It does take some adjusting and tinkering until you find the right setup. Thanks for the correction.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this is why i bought a toro w/floating deck . deck height changes made in seconds