Height for spring

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CP Estates, Mar 23, 2006.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

What heights is everyone starting at for spring?:confused:

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

First cut today...2-1/2"...

3. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I can't resist this one, sorry.

I'm starting at 5'9", like to grow to 5'10" so I can look the wife in the eye!

As far as the grass, we'll start at 2 1/2". Hoping we get some rain. Now we're melting 23" of snow we got Saturday - Monday.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! Now THJERE'S the right answer! Actually, some people start real low - actually about scalping the lawn (if it was prepped right in the fall, it is ok. Later in the spring though, you want to go as high as you can and still handle the growth. Spring is a crucial time for root growth. It is a simple rule of thumb...the longer the leaf, the deeper the root is able to grow.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

In our grasses never below 3 inches.

6. Insometry

Insometry LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Im with the turf doctor.

7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I mowed mine last week at 3.5". All turf type fescue. Didn't want to scalp and then freeze.

8. skagman2006

skagman2006 LawnSite Member

Spicer, I cant believe you cut yesterday.I'm in West Chester area and it's way too soft here from the couple inches of snow from monday.Good Luck/be safe!

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

2 " to get the early green up

10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

This is the earliest I have ever mowed in my life but with the warm winter the yard actually needed it. After I cut I core aerated also.:usflag:

1st cut 2006 003.jpg