height of cut stake?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Harrell, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I just had an idea for those every other week through the season customers (and possibly others). What about explaining to them the proper height of cut and the one third rule and all the negatives of violating it. Then come up with a measuring stake (red mark at cut area) to be placed in an out of the way place for them to see exactly when it needs to be cut. Sort of like the water level markers in lakes. I wouldn't leave it forever, just long enough for them to get the message.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

tony thats sounds like a way to make them see ,what u talkin about.
    truth is with mine[some] ,i get the feelin they already know and dont want to tell me just to kill it back so they wont have to pay to mow it.. so they fuss about it needin to be short. also theres a lot o folks are hearing how we are just conning
    them into more mows.with some ,they have set their standard an unless they get a windfall ,probably never will change.
    in the long run this is where the drought will hurt me the worst. i finally had some ofum going for a well kept yd and understanding why its worth it . now we back where we started.
    still a good idea and will work w some.