1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

height of cut

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jsbmaine, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

How high are you setting your mowers? Do you use the same height for all your lawns? getting ready for 1st season, and want to know how to set the mower. (48" bunton)
  2. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I cut anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 inches depending on the lawn. Mostly 3.25 though

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Most in my area are 3 inches on some high end turf we cut 4 to 5 inches to give it the stripes.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

5/8" to 3/4" here in PHX, tiffway 419
  5. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

TurfDoctor, Do you have any trouble with the grass staying too flat overtime when you do the 4" - 5" cuts?
  6. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

i think where you are at is cool season grasses and it's 2-3 inches, from a lawn care guide that i have

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We stripe in different ways every time we cut we do this in heavy spring growth and on a select few customers
  8. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to do all at 3". Last year went to 3.25" and was asked to go back to 3".
  9. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

Turf Doc,
    We always alternate our pattern too but I have found most sites restrict me to only being able to run the stripe patterns. That results in the grass sometimes laying down and not ALL of the grass coming up for a clean & even cut. I think we aren't helping thinks out by mowing at about 6 mph also though. What speed are you typically mowing at?
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

2 7/8 to 3 inches tall all the time.

In the fall I move down to 2 inches.