1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Height to cut Fescue Yard in WEST TN

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I just picked a new yard up I cut once already. The owners take good care of it. The yard was tilled and sowed in Turf type fecue in fall of 05. Since the has been Limed and every fall and spring fertlized. In the spring they always aereate and overseed with fescue. In Ma y they always put Ammonia Nitrate(UREA) on it. SO IT IS VERY GREEN.

I cut the first time at 3 1/4 inches thinking did not want to hurt it with all this heat and dry we have. (HAS NOT RAINED in 1 WEEK) The owners said the next day after I cut there was lines where my tires ran that looked taller than the rest?????

Can I let the deck down to 3" and not hurt the yard?????????:confused::confused:
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut fescue at 3.5 to 4 inches. However, when it hasn't rained tire stripes don't like to stand back up sometimes with turf tires. I would maybe shoot for 3". Worst comes to worst, they need to water.
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

New types of tall fescue are drought resistant so cutting at 3 would work. Why don't you just cut it at the same height as it was done before. Remember not all tall fescue is the same.
  4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I cut at 4", the fescue stripes well and the grass laid over might just "look" longer, you have to remember the deck is in front of your rear wheels and they leave the stripes along with a stripe kit.