Height to Cut Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJMLS, May 15, 2007.

1. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

I'm in Eastern Pa and wondering what height to cut the grass. I cut on a weekly basis and have tried 2-1/2" which leaves too many clippings. At 3" I get complaints of it being too high. Please advise. Thanks, CJM

2. Lawn Works

Lawn Works LawnSite Member

What type of grass?

3. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

Well, it's several. Some of my equipment is not so easy to change deck heights so I like to keep it standard.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Bucks county? How far are you from Quakertown? Just wondering because my ex fiance used to live there and I traveled up there quite often.

Anyway you have cool season grass just like we do and it should be cut 3" to 3 1/2" right now and 3 1/2" to 4" in the summer. I bet your people want it cut short because they think it wont need it as often which will save them money.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

2 1/2 right now, with the weather we have been having with no rain, the grass will definitely burn out at that height.
    the lowest we ever cut is 3, and that's only a few lawns.. most we cut at 3 1/2, and some at 4.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If they are not used to seeing grass cut at 3+" it is going to take a few weeks for it to look right. I always tell new clients to give it a month to 6 weeks and they are always happy with it by then....

7. CJMLS

CJMLS LawnSite Member

I'm about 45 min from there. Thanks for the advice.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am beginning to understand your wisdom.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I cut Bermuda around here to 1.5 - 2 depending on weather, for the fescue I cut to 3-4 inches. I have yet to have problems with these heights.

10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Make sure you are cutting at 3". Check air pressure in tires and due a test cut on your own property and measure it. All mine are 3" and up, no complaints yet.