1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Heigth in inches? I don't know no stinking inches... <Snapper question>

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, May 5, 2006.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I've mowed using a Snapper mower off and on for 15 some years and I... don't really have a clue to what the height adjusters equate to in regards to inches. When I used to work with a crew, we'd just talk about the notches, like, "set it on 3-3, or 4-5, etc.," especially if we were across the lawn from each other and using sign language. I mean, looking at the mowers, notches aren't even numbered. Now, in and of itself, that would not be a problem if my company all used Snappers, but I'm the only one; the other, separate crew, uses Scags and Honda's. Since I'm starting to read and post here to become more knowledgeable, I figure maybe I should at least have a rough idea so that I can better understand others and they can understand me - when it comes to height settings, that is.

I'm currently cutting most of my lawns at 4-4 (measured from the engine side going away). What are other 21" Snapper users cutting at?
  2. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

With the adjusters in the highest position, that's 4 inches. Each notch is 1/2 inch.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

not true! the higest position on a 21 snapper is only 3 inches
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

This is how i adjust my hondas, Ive got notches 1-6 on mine, i don't need to know the heights in inches, i know what looks good and is healthy for the turf.
  5. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

use a tape measure would be my guess. That's how we would measure everything when I worked in construction atleast. :confused: :confused: :confused:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I like to know the exact height, for when customers ask. Then I can say "It's at 3.25 inches thank you, now please go back inside and get out of my way" :laugh:

Everything is online nowadays, you can probably find the info on Snapper's website.
  7. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

I always thought that snapper should have done better with this, I measured mine long ago on what was what, i use the top 3 notches most of the time though
  8. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

lawnboy dan, check snapper's web site, or your owner's manual.....almost all 21" snappers have a maximum cutting height of 4", and 2 steps down from the maximum height is 3".
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Maybe you can invest in a tape measure?:)
  10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

New Snappers have 4" height, older ones had 3".