Helac PowerGrip

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Brian Hay, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I have looked at the powertilt and have always felt it was an awesome idea. the powergrip would surely add versatility and negate ( in most instances ) the need for a thumb. I believe it would be a wise move to add that to your aresenal of weapons. I ( probably you too ) got introduced to them on Heavy Equipment Forum and would consider that configuration if I was to get a new machine and start from scratch. Another item that peaked my interest is (can't remember the name of it) the unit that allows the bucket to swing 360 degrees and dig away from you as well as towards you.....they seem to be standard in Europe. I would go for the power grip in a heart beat since you already have the power-tilt.

3. Brian Hay

Here is a link to one that gives rotation. http://www.rototilt.cc/rototilt.html

One of the first things most people seam to be asking me is if I have a thumb. I think the PowerGrip would open a lot of doors for us, it will be our next investment for sure.

4. RockSet N' Grade

Powergrip bucket negates the need for a thumb for you.......I would get it now, so you can say "yes" to those asking. I believe it will pay for itself in "jobs got" vs. "jobs lost" in a very short period of time......Take the payment plan, get it, and pay it off sooner if you can. I really don't think you can afford to be without that capability.

5. Brian Hay

I should be able to get one soon. We are taking the payout money from our truck that got stolen and putting it straight towards a PowerGrip. I'm torn between going with a 24 or 30 inch...any thoughts on that anyone?

6. RockSet N' Grade

My most commonly used bucket is 24". It is small enough to go between stuff, yet large enough. That would be my choice with no hesitation.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious as to what advantage this gives over a thumb. I can see where you could grade trenches with it. It reminds me of a 4 in 1 for a backhoe or skid steer just on a smaller level.

The advantages of a thumb I think are many over this set up. You can switch bucket size and still have a thumb. The little hyd. lines coming off the bucket look fragile to me. A thumb is much simpler in design. The mechanism which is all internal has to be somewhat complex IE expensive when it goes down. The gripping ability and the size of objects that can be handled looks rather small compared to a thumb.

I would have to have specific need for this attachment. I switch buckets often enough that, that alone would be a no go for me. They say it is built tough and I am sure it is but one day you will have to have that torn down and fixed and that will likely mean down time and maybe a shipping bill. I think the attachment you are refering to RSG is the Rototilt (rototilt.com) very awesome and expensive but I saw the demo at ConExpo and it was very impressive. Maybe this would be an option. They are made in Canada somewhere if I recall correctly.

8. RockSet N' Grade

The main reason I would go with the power grip bucket is because he already has the power tilt. If Brian didn't already have the power tilt, the thumb may be a better choice.....

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Thumb wouldn't work with the power tilt very good would it.The thumb wouldn't move with the bucket when tilted .

Maybe i'm wrong,but can't see other then when you had the bucket straight with the thumb that it would work where with the power grip bucket it is all togather?

Plus at times with the power tilt the thumb would be sticking out in the way?

Unless there is something i'm not understanding.Imagine that:):usflag:

10. RockSet N' Grade

Constructo...you said it better than I when explaining the "why for".......