helicopters invaded my lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Squirter, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

i live in central indiana and about 1 1/2 months ago, my lawn (kentucky bluegrass/perennial rye) was covered with these helicopter thingy's....i guess everybody knows what they are. i think its from my maple tree(s). so, i tried to rake them up as someone told me they'd cause problems for my lawn and eventually begin to turn into maple trees.

well, they were right. i thought i was getting a bunch of broadleaf weed creep back into my beautiful lawn. instead, i just went out and tryied to pull a few up by hand and, much to my surprise, the "weed" was attached to the "helicopter" that was buried in my turf/soil.

so, i went out to look at the label for my Redzone, and I don't see where its going to kill these things that are all over my lawn.

what, if anything, can i spray on my lawn (without killing my grass) that will get rid of these weed looking things. they are really making my beautiful lawn look like ****. thanks!!!!!

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Good evening sir,

Relax, I also go thru this every year. I also get the little "weeds" that come up. Get some momentium and apply at the correct rate for your grass. One week later, re-apply. This has worked for me for years. Good luck. I buy my momentium at lesco if your wondering where to get it.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you really don't even need to spray them! regular mowing will kill the maple tree starts off! if not I would live in a forest! lol

4. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

"To Kill...or not To Kill" ..... is that the question???

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Chems will kill 'em fast. But mowing will force the young plants to live off the nutrient reserves in the seed - until it runs out and dies. It's just a matter of whether or not you wanna wait.

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Mowing works great. Mulch beds are another story I use Snapshot in the spring and pull any that do come up.

7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no need to apply a herbicide to them. Regular mowing will easily kill them after several weeks. They come from maple trees and we had a ton of them drop yesterday in the wind.