1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hello all, new to board.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, Apr 7, 2001.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I'm a firefighter and just started mowing on the side. I've named my business "Veteran Lawn Care". On my business cards I have a flag in the background and I thought this would hit a soft spot in those out there that are still patriotic. I haven't been to lucky advertising yet though. The jobs I have done, I think I undercharged, because I'm getting impatient. I was thinking about changing my name to something catchy related to lawn care, what do you guys think?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Welcome to Lawnsite. :)

What forms of advertising are you doing? The more you saturate your area with your name and your services, the more likely you will find the customers. Get a few, then they refer you to someone, and so on and so on.

I don't think you necessarily need to change your name. You just have to get your name out there.

Good luck
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The word NEW scares a lot of customers. EXPERIENCE is what they like to hear. I would pass out flyers in the areas you want to work do it asap since it's mowing time in most areas. Good Luck
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It really isn't based on a catchy name. It is based on knowing what you are doing and what you are selling. You sell yourself, your business, your knowledge. It's about running a business, not necessarily about just "cutting grass", my 12 year old nephew can cut grass for godsake. You think people today, in this world, are gonna call you because you have a flag on your business card? I'm not trying to harp, but you need to realize the amount of work involved in starting a business and attaining customers. Be creative. There are so many avenues to advertise and get your name out there but you also need to prove yourself and that takes nothing but time. Build a name for yourself. Educate yourself in this industry. What can you offer to a customer that the 100 other lawncare companies don't. What are you going to do for them better than the next guy? What do you mean you think you undercharged because you are getting impatient? If you undercharged, the phone should be ringing off the hook. Alot of people are cheap and don't always realize you get what you pay for. Sorry to gripe at you but I think there is more involved than you realize. Good luck in the future. :)
  5. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. Like you said I've been mowing grass for over 20 years if you include my parents yard. I'm now 32 and have tried many side jobs being a Fireman. I was in the Marine Corp and am now in the VFW so the American Flag is something I take pride in and I was hoping someone else would too. Also, Veteran is generally someone who has been doing something for a long time, "right". I know word of mouth is your best advertisement and I already do a very good job at what I do. I should have said, "please, how do I get my wife off my back and at the same time talk her into getting rid of this little Snapper mower, for a larger mower, when I only have a few yards.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I know the feeling about the flag. I spent my time in the Army and I too have been mowing for a while now. I started mowing on the farm 50 years ago, so I do have experiance too. :)

I would be talking the wife into getting a better mower for this, but what you have will do the job. Nothing like having the right tools to do the job though.
  7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

when i was in i was USAF firefighter. I got started on the side there too. Had the greatest boss's.

Quantity is the key here for advertisement. For example: Think of if you had to move. Which truck would you rent to mvoe? Most people would say U-haul. It is not because they have the most sophisticated and best trucks. heck, some of them are real junkers. BUT! You see them everywhere you go. They have 6 u-hauls in my 200K population area. That is alot. Get your name out, ask to put signs on the lawns you do, that sort of thing.

Word from the sometimes wise though, Dont get in over your head. Take only what you can handle on board. Cutting grass isnt worth losing a wife or kids over. I know ppl that this has happened to. Talk to the wife and set clear guidelines.