1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hello Floridians!!!! A lil help for a northerner..

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Armsden&Son, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys/gals...
    I have a buddy that recently moved to Jacksonville and he is currently looking for work. He is a super good guy, super reliable, and he has been working with his Dad's masonry/hardscaping company for at least the last 7 years.. His fiance is in law school in Jacksonville so that is why he has moved to Florida... I am always on L.S so I told him I would put the word out... Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated... Thank you very much..

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

7 yrs experience, does he not want to start his own company? That's a good area to get it going.

3. Armsden&Son

He would absolutely start his own company... But he's still young (23) and he probably doesn't have a ton of coin saved up... He also literally just moved down there maybe a month ago.. So, he's looking to hopefully hop onto a crew. Not sure if he plans to permanently move to Jacksonville but he will definitely be there for at least the next 4 years while his fiance finishes school... And I realize he could go on craigslist or look up the local companies but he's been a good bud to me so I figured I would make some inquiries here on L.S... Do you happen to know anyone in that area?

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Sorry, I don't. They are a dime a dozen so he should be able to find something with his experience and age. Someone is always in need of a strong back. Tell him to hit the larger nurseries in the area, they should be able to point him in the right direction.

5. Armsden&Son

Awesome! thanks for the tip!

6. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

have him buy a beater pickup, a Honda HRX mower, Stihl weed trimmer, edger and blower

He''ll find his niche and make more money in the long run

7. Armsden&Son

Well, he's more into hardscaping/masonry than lawn maintenance but if he were to go into maintenance, I couldn't possibly ever suggest to him to run a push mower out of a pick up... I couldn't even suggest a commercial walk behind in a pick up bed with ramps... I just wouldn't feel right about it...

8. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

you should not have to suggest anything to him he's a grown man if he wants to make money an grow a business he should already be thinking about it. Nothing wrong with mowing yards out of a pick up. mowing landscaping, sprinkler maintenance,

Lots of big companies start out that way Lots

9. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

Ive got work in Orlando if he wants to drive or move here!

10. Armsden&Son

Ok, let me hit him up and let him know... How far is Orlando from Jax?