Hello I am new to the business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Neophyte, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

I'm seriously considering entering the lawn mowing profession. I enjoy outdoor work and working for myself.

I would really appreciate if someone can critique my "business plan":

1) I will purchase a zero turn mower, trimmer, and blower.

2) I plan on working on residential properties in my neck of the woods.

3) I still don't know how much to charge, but $25 per cut seems fair here in Palm Bay, FL.

4) I don't have a clue about licensing and such. Any help on advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. I would be more than willing to answer any questions.
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Get yourself a tax ID. #, & Insurance. Get the clients ,try to keep your route tight. Nothing wrong with getting a used ZTR. GOOD LUCK.
  3. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

$25 is low balling unless your just going to mow it. $35 and up
  4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I think in FL 25 is probably pretty decent since they get a lot more cuttings in a season. Hell 25 still seems to be the price stuck in everybody's head here, and we get like 24 weeks of mowing.
  5. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

well i can't see myself doing the edging and trim then use my blower for under $35. unless you have several lawns to mow in the same area.
  6. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

The reason why I want to charge $25 per cut is because the competition charges less for more.

I know a guy who charges $18 per cut, which includes mowing, trimming, and blowing. If I were to charge 35 and up I might not get a lot of customers.

But who knows, it maight just work.
  7. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $35 minimum. The only time I'll charge less is for those little side jobs when a neighbor of an account asks me to weedeat around the driveway because their weedeater is broken...or haul off a tree limb. I'll do little stuff like that for $10 sometimes. I can't remember EVER having anyone say $35 was too much.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why buy a big ZTR unit if you are doing a few yards....why not a decent size WB that will be far less money. I assume the lawns are the standard 10K size like most big cities have. And the price seems okay for highly competitive areas.
  9. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

The average lot size here is 80x125 and $25 is the going rate for mow, weed eat, edge and blow. I also have seen guys that are doing them for $15. Gave a bid to a lady today that was paying $15 from her privious guy. Said he is no longer in business. Imagine that. I told her $25 and she said that she couldn't afford that my such so I wished her luck on her search. There are I beleive 67 counties in Florida. In my county we are ranked 64th lowest in terms of employment opportunities. I don't see things changing any time soon. Forclosures, budget cuts, lack of work is really killing folks down here.
  10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

You can't make money at those prices; find something else to do. JMO