Hello I Am The New Home Owner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhett, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Knew I shoud not have taken a vacation. Just installed 130 bales of pine straw and mowed the lawn when the new owner intoduced himself. Heck even fixxed a sprinkler that Had been broken by a car. New Owner intoduces himself and thanks me for how nice it looks. Even asks for a qoute for how much it will be to finish the back yard. Last thing he says is to make sure I bill the previouse owner. Know the previous owner is good for it but cannot believe the new guy sat in the house and watched me and my helper do the work and waited till the trailer was empty before saying anything. Guess you win some and lose some.
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I would work for this guy. Give him a decent price until you make sure you get paid for the straw then hit the road. I don't think he's starting out real good.
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Good call. Not worried about getting paid. Do wonder abut the ethics of someone watching, as far as they are concerned free work. Am going to just charge materials and eat the labor. OUCH
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what did the previous owner say "bill the new guy"
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

definitely the new guy was wrong. but how come the old owner never informed you that he was moving?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Definitely falls upon the old owner...he didn't tell you he was moving so the bill is his...so why would someone want all that work done anyway if they were apparantly so close to moving out?

Sure the new guy should have said something but I think the responsibility falls on the old owner. I had this happen once before, kept mowing for a month and finally the owner called and said he had moved out a month earlier...so I said "So what?" and he said "Well you knew the house was for sale" so I said "WELL YOU HAVE TO CALL ME AND TELL ME WHEN IT'S SOLD SIR I'M NOT PSYCHIC AND YES YOU DO OWE ME THE ENTIRE BILL YOU JUST GOT" :laugh: :laugh:
  7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

If the old owner didn't call to cancel service...it's his bad! As for the new ASS that lives there.. nevermind.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, give the new guy a break fellas. Maybe he was sleeping or something. And yes, some people do sleep during the day.

You have to bill the old guy or eat it.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

There is also another possibility -- The former owner agreed with the new owner to have the work done, pay for it too. It may have been part of the transfer agreement. Any other work (e.g. the back yard) would be done at the discretion of the new owner.

Nothing was said here about any agreements between the former owner and the new one. I have had former owners agree to pay for the first mowing for new owners. It was a gesture on the part of the former owner, and I appreciated it. It gave me a foot in the door with the new owner to continue with the ongoing work.

I have a new customer lined up for next season, a property next door to an existing one. When the property was sold, part of the agreement was the to have extensive cleanup done for the new owner. This work was done AFTER the new owners had moved, and was paid for by the former owner.

This project sounds like it was much more money than a mere mowing. But, unless the agreement (if any) is known, the situation may not be the harsh reality as perceived.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You didnt know the house was sold?? No sign out front no moving van??