Hello, im new here

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ashskyler, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ashskyler

ashskyler LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I live in Georgia and im starting a lawncare biz with my father in law in the spring. I have never done this type of work before and im not sure yet of how in depth we will go but for starters i think we will mainly just cut lawns and trim hedges etc, all the basic stuff. But im mainly interested in aquiring contracts for highway, interstate and other lawn areas that are not residential or small business owned. Any ideas on where i can go about bidding on these sort of contracts? Thanks in advance!
  2. ashskyler

from Georgia

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. You have made me feel so welcome.
  3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

First off .. Welcome to Lawnsite! There are a lot of people here with some good advice to share ... as well as quite a few "opinioniated" posts as well. You'll get pretty good at sorting through some of these as time goes by.

Many people have probably been somewhat reluctant to post on this question simply because many don't have any experience on the topic of your question (as I don't either). Most all of the property like which you are talking about (around State and Interstate highways) is maintained by companies under contract with local or state offices. I would imagine that to get one of these contracts you would have to be a decent sized maintenance company, with all the proper equipment to do these jobs. This equipment is nothing like what your average LCO uses, nor is the work really anything like most on this board do.

Stick around though ... you will find a lot of good advice on other issues concerning commercial and residential lawn care.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Greetings and welcome to the site. If your just starting out i would stick with doing residential homes for awhile until you get more experience and not try to start off with taking on something you might not be able to handle. I know where i live the state has there own equipment and take care of the highways and interstates. Do you already own any equipment or is it something you plan on getting in spring when you start up?
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree with Green n Clean. It's better to start off small, especially since you have never done this type of work before.
    I would probably say that highway contracts etc will more than likely go with the lowest bidder. do you really want to be the lowest bidder in your first year of business? To be the lowest bidder, and actualy make a profit, you HAVE to know your expenses, and you have to have all your ducks in a row if you expect to come out on top and make some money. Leave the lowest bid stuff to someone that has been business for awhile, and knows how to make a profit while still bidding low. Stick with good residential accounts where you can name your price.
  6. ashskyler

from Georgia

Ah, thanks for the info everyone. This wont be fulltime for us, we also have other jobs, this will be an extra money maker unless it grows to be something bigger. I also plan on opening another business this year also for my main job. I dont have any equipment yet but the father in law is gonna buy all that and im gonna buy the truck. WE definitley plan on doing residential stuff but the interstate and highway grass really got my intention. I have everything in order other than the equipment. I just thought i would register here and read up on some good advice and ask a few questions. Thanks everyone.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

WOW! Welcome to Lawnsite we are here at every beck and call just for you! Why on Earth would you want to start out with this kind of work? You have ZERO experience mowing anything, what makes you think it's going to be so easy to get a State contract, usually those take quite awhile to get. The equipment alone is going to be THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars for that type of mowing. All I can say is that you and your Father-in-law are going about getting into this industry all ARSS backwards.
  8. ashskyler

from Georgia

I dont want to seem arrogant but its...grass. I mean, really, how hard is it to cut some grass. Its a side business with probably less than 2-3k invested except for the truck which im gonna be using for personal use also. That is also why i registered here, so i could learn what i dont already know. and as far as coming to my beck and call, even if noone could answer my question, a simple hello or welcome would have been great. I had 51 views with not one hello. Excuse me for thinking your all a bunch of stuckup grass cutters. If you dont have any insight for me then thats fine but dont try to rain on my parade. Thanks for what help you did give. :drinkup:
  9. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Hello......I hope that makes you feel better!
  10. ashskyler

from Georgia

I feel great. Thanks! Hello to you to.