Hello, I'm new with a question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ernest, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ernest

Ernest LawnSite Member

Hi, my name is Ernie and Lawnsite was recommended to me by a fellow woodworker on an off topic discussion.
    I have approx. 5 acres to mow and have gone through 3 lawn tractors in the last ten years. My neighbor who owns the local tractor store knew of my trouble and dropped off his demo ztr 18hp x 44" ezMark. With all the obstacles in my yard this thing is a dream. 1/4 of the time and gas as it had taken. Now that I've tasted such a machine, I'm wondering if this ezMark is good for the money or are there frequent problems. The mower I get will only be used for my few acres and I don't want to spend more than 5 to 6 grand. Will the ezMark be good for that or is there a better mower for the job in that price range.

This is my first ever question on the subject of ztr mowers, so if I'm leaving out vital information for you to answer, let me know.

Thank you for any suggestions or comments.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fear not my friend; Exmark is among the elite of Z-turn riders! If you purchase an Exmark machine, as homeowner it will years before the need for replacement arises!
    Just follow the maintenance schedule and should have very few problems.
  3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

These machines were built to cut several acres on a daily basis. For once or twice a week homeowner use, the exmark will last you a very long time.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Man, love my exmark, like said above, they are made to cut all day every day so the time that you need to use it will make it last a long time provided you follow regular maintenance procedures! Good Luck and have some fun!!
  5. Ernest

Ernest LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like I'm on the right track by accident.

6. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

actually i would go with a 52" or a 60" cut, machine, that will cut your time down even more, and if you want to save on gas go with a diesel in 1 of those but the tag on of those is steeper then what you want to go, but it will be worth spending the extra money they are about $13000
  7. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

There are MANY great commercial ZTR's as good or better than the Exmark, but if you have a good relationship with the neighbor/dealer and he can convince you that he has a good service department, then why not? As said by earlier posters, a bigger deck and more horsepower would be better.

Make sure you are getting one with an industrial engine such as a B&S Vanguard, Kawasaki or industrial Kohler engine. Also make sure that the one you buy has individual pumps and wheel motors. DO NOT buy a ZTR with integrated drives.

Good luck,
  8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why not? Walker has intergrated drives and is the soothest machine i ever used.