Hello young lawn cutter here

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pyroracing85, Feb 20, 2006.

1. pyroracing85

pyroracing85 LawnSite Member

Hello all brand new to the forum and the lawn industry. I have been reading a few posts and it seems like a honda motor on my lawn mower and some echo string trimmers and blowers. Is that all the equipment I am going to need? I do not want to purchase a truck and trailer right now for I wnat to do this on the weekend.

That is another question do customers tend to NOT want you because you mow on the weekends?
  2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

how you going to move equipment around???
  3. pyroracing85

I just plan on doing stuff in my neighborhood. Me and my little brother. I would just wheel the mower over and carry the other equipment.
  4. pyroracing85

Also, if it gets to much of a hassle I could just load it in the back of my truck
  5. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

didnt you say u didnt have a truck??
  6. pyroracing85

well it is my daily ride.... If I were to purchase a truck it would be dedicated for the lawn business. I wouldn't want to rely on my daily ride in case I break that going on a vacation trip or soemthing like that.

but I plan to run this business without a truck and trailer.

Also how many lawns do you guys have to make a decent income of like 20-30 k a year?

also how do I price the lawn?
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as pricing, no one can answer that for you. It's a delicate balance of a) how much money you want to make per hour of work, b) how much your business costs you to run, and c) what the market you serve will bear. I'm no seasoned expert, but I can tell you one thing, you can't be in this business without using a vehicle to move your equipment around. If you're the neighborhood kid mowing lawns on weekends for beer money it might work, but if you want to actually make a living you need the right equipment.
  8. pyroracing85

I don't plan on making a living on it just yet. I will just do a few lawns in the neighborhood but thanks for the outlook.

So I guess just compare prices from other companies in the area huh
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you can't compare to other companies rates if you A) don't have the professional equipment to do the job and B) are only doing the houses within walking distance. You really should look into getting a trailer for your truck, they are pretty cheap and once you have a client data base, decide if you can afford a dedicated truck and some commercial equipment. Good luck
  10. pyroracing85

Why are you guys so against on not having a trailer? Yes, I could get one eventually but I am trying to keep the costs to a minimun. If worse comes to worse I could just load the equipment in the back of my truck.