Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JodyG, Dec 17, 2009.

1. JodyG

JodyG LawnSite Member

I have been lurking around these forums for the past couple of years. My background is mainly in commercial sitework & concrete. I have worked for or co-owned grading companies and a concrete foundation company. In the late 90’s I owned a small landscape installation crew putting in new yards for builders and up until two years ago I had a 2-men maintenance crew mowing model homes and spec homes for builders. Unfortunately the building market is gone and so is the crew.

I would like to thank the professionals who post here. I have taken note of your advice and used it in the past. I know by reading these posts how frustrating some of the questions are. I also know how frustrating your competition is. We are experiencing the same level of low balling in our industry.

For myself I have decided that I want to start a part time solo operation in the spring. I have enough connections to pick up maybe 8 – 10 accounts. My immediate goal is to subsidize my income next year and then work towards a full time venture in 2011. My local market area is varied. We have small cluster homes to horse ranches. The accounts I am looking at are half acre or smaller sites. I plan on using a 36” WB to start with. I already have most of the professional quality power tools that I purchased two years ago.

I look forward to reading and posting on this forum…

2. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

hello and welcome to the forums!

I myself am working for a concrete foundation company to save up money to buy my equipment for my new company next spring.

Concrete foundation has a lot of money to be made with, our company does like 1-2 home foundation a day, but the equipment is very expensive lol

3. JodyG

JodyG LawnSite Member

We did very good up until 2006. We were set up as an in house company for a local builder (350+ homes per year). He shut it down due to financial reasons. I had a good amount of work in North Georgia but when the Florida real estate market went south and money became tight. We closed at the beginning of 2007.

4. g21

g21 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Jody,
    Let me know if I can help with anything.