1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! 10 Acre Mini-Farm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by masonmillerky, Aug 23, 2007.

1. masonmillerky

masonmillerky LawnSite Member

We've recently purchased a 10-acre "mini farm" (pictures attached) in Lexington, Kentucky with about an acre of lawn surrounding the house and the rest of land is just fields/pasture. My current house sits on 0.3 acres, so all I've owned is a standard push mower.

Needless to say, the push mower isn't going to cut it (no pun intended). We don't plan to have any horses or other livestock, so my question is what is the best way for me to cut the land? Everyone on here seems to be very experienced, so any advice would be great.

1. Should I buy the equipment to cut it myself or should I hire it out, and what should I expect the cost to be for each?

2. If I buy equipment, what should I be looking at? I don't want it to take 15 hours to mow the yard, and I'd hope I could buy one piece of equipment for the fields and the lawn.

3. New or Used?

4. How often to mow?

Please help soon.........I don't want it to be five feet tall before I figure out the right answer :)

2. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

72'' JD Z-trac!they do have a front mount with two side mounts and it will cut 11'.
  3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

Intended for customers with large areas to mow and hills to climb, the 1600 Turbo Wide-Area Mower features a 57-hp, turbocharged, overhead-valve, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled Yanmar diesel engine with on-demand or full-time mechanical rear wheel drive. Mow up to 68 acres in an 8-hour day with a nearly 11-foot cutting width.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

1. Do you have the time available to cut it yourself?

2. Can you afford the equipment?

3. Lease or Own?

4. What do you consider high grass?
  5. masonmillerky

Thanks for the input so far - - that JD is one scary looking beast.

I do have the time (provided I can mow it in under 5 hours).

I would probably look to purchase, not lease the equipment, preferrably used. I know with a used tractor, if you get in it right, you can get back out without too much depreciation.

I can afford the equipment (unless you tell me its $25K).

I plan on mowing it once or twice a month, so it will stay pretty short.
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your budget for the mower? The JD that was recommended on here is an excellent choice for that large of a property, but it is very expensive. We need to know your budget and what kind of time you have to spend on this large of a property to mow and maintain it.
  7. masonmillerky

Well I think I know whether Lou thinks I should hire it out or not.

I think the JD 1600 Turbo may be too much.....I don't need to knock it out in an hour.....how about something that can get it done in 3-5?
  8. masonmillerky

I'd like to spend 3-6K on a used piece of equipment, whether a mower or tractor (although if I get the tractor I'll also need a small riding mower for the lawn I think).

3-5 hours per mow, once or twice a month (twice on the lawn near the house for sure) would be fine. I also have a person I can hire for $12 an hour to do the work if I supply the equipment (office clerk at my work).
  9. Really buy the time you purchase 10000-19000 of equipment you could have it done . Your time is important 10 acres = 's 4-8 hrs with weed eating (lots of wood horse fencing takes time, maintaining the equipment, initial cost of equipment, how long do you plan on living there, Are all things to consider............