Help: 12.5 hp Kawasaki - No Spark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by homemwr, May 12, 2001.

1. homemwr

homemwr LawnSite Member
    from MN

Please help. I bought a used Toro Proline with a 12.5 hp Kawasaki. I have only used it a few times - unfortunately each time has brought something new. After 15 minutes or less of mowing time the engine quits because of a no spark condition. Can anyone give me a starting place for troubleshooting?
    Thanks, Jeff

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't had this problem with a Kawasaki, but if it's like a Kohler, it could have a bad module in it.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

test the magneito(coil)

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

On the back of the engine there should be a place where the ignition cut off wire plugs into the wiring harness. Disconnect this wire and see if the engine still quits running. If it does then there is a problem with the ignition system. If it does not then there is a problem with the mower wiring. Possible ignition problems include: a nicked wire, bad spark plug, bad module and clogged up cooling fins.

5. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

Its an ingniter modual they cost about $70 and have 1 wire going to them monter on side

6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

My last post was done in big rush-- On the side of the engine
    is an ingniter module sometimes after they heat up they act up and
    sometimes they just fail completly. they cost about $70 and are attacted with a screw and they have 1 wire going to them. if you have a friend with the same engine you could try theirs in about 2 min.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

One of the opc switches might have a bad connection.

I've had this happen several times on kawis. 12.5 and 14 kawi have both done it once or twice before.

8. homemwr

homemwr LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks for the tips. I had an ignition module go out on a Lawnboy that acted the same way. Anyway, I cleaned up the magnets on the flywheel and the contacts on the coil and everything seems OK. At least it ran for 1.5 hours with no problems.
    Thanks for your help, Jeff

9. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have had that problem in the past. If the items mentioned in the previous posts do not work, quick check is to disconnect the red ground wire to the engine. If the ignition switch or lockout module is not working, this would enable you to start the engine if you did try the other things mentioned in the previous posts and still get no spark. The saftey interlock switch works to protect you from starting the engine if the electric blade switch is engaged when you shut off the mower. Sometimes it does not reset. Hope this helps.

10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

it's the magneto or the connections are loose.