Help, 14 hp Briggs Vanguard carb flooding!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike90lx, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mike90lx

mike90lx LawnSite Member

I have 14 HP Briggs Vanguard Model series 261700, (manufactured 1990) that the carb keeps flooding when the mower sits unused for a few hours. Once the engine starts the engine runs fine. I replaced the needle valve and also cleaned the needle seat with carb cleaner and a cotton swab, the brass needle seat is not removable and seems clean. I checked the float for any leaks, but it did not find any. When the float is pushed up the needle valve seems to be sealing, as I cannot blow air through the carb fuel pipe with my mouth. Any suggestions on what else could cause this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you post a correct model and type number maybe someone can lend a hand.....

3. mike90lx

mike90lx LawnSite Member

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Shut the fuel off when not in use(like Restrorob said) or put a new carb on it.

6. cbegap

cbegap LawnSite Member

I have had 2 Kohlers and 2 Briggs that seem to have this problem. Sometimes they don't have any problems, then bam, forced oil change. Being gravity fed fuel systems, I second installing a fuel shut off valve even if you think you fix the problem.