HELP:3500 or F-350?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kreft, Oct 10, 2007.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad and I are looking into buying either a Chevy 3500 or a Ford f-350,

options are:

-3/4 Ton
    -crew cab
    -6 ft bed
    -dimond plate toolbox and gas tank for the equipment
    -diesiel

My question is which one is better ford or chevy, we are looking to buy a new truck, 05-08

Thanks
    -Tyler-

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

3/4 ton is F 250 and 2500. If you're going with a diesel get the chevy. For 6.0s are notorious for problems. Also, with the chevy you get the best tranny available.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

this thread should be closed. you have no idea what kind of can of worms you just opened up.

4. kreft

Oh, ok thanks for clarifing things for me.:) So the f-350/3500 is... a 1 Ton?

5. kreft

Explain yourself:confused:

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

the whole ford vs. chev thing....

thats not what you're after though I'm pretty sure.

7. kreft

Yea thats what I thought he meant...I just want to know what truck would be out of the shop the less and what your guys experiance with them are.

8. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

My vote is for the Chevy with the Duramax/Allison combo. The Duramax engine along with the Allison transmission has proven to be just about bulletproof. As for the Ford, the only way I would suggest that is if you got an old 7.3L (pre-2000 I think). The newer Fords have the 6.0L in them which have earned the name "6 point uh-oh" There are many lawsuits dealing with reliability issues of the 6.0L Powerstroke. Other than that, both companies make a very good truck.

Also, if you do mostly in town driving, I would suggest a pre-07 diesel. The newer diesels have more emissions equipment on them that requires the vehicle to occasionally (about once per tank of fuel) be driven at speeds above 30mph for approximately 30 minutes in order to go through a cleaning process. That is kind of hard if you are always making short trips.

9. kreft

Alright, thanks, I would like to see what everybody else has on the subjet.

10. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

I wouldn't even go for a 7.3 PowerStroke. We are working on one in school right now. Major PITA. Some of the *wonderful* engineering ideas are total BS! It's had one problem after another. One of the seniors told me that last year, right after fixing it, first time trying to start it, it siezed up. That's where we're at right now. Just so ya know.

Go for the Chevy/GMC.

I perfer three engine over any of these modern, high horse monsters though, the GM/Detroit 6.2, 6.5, and 12 valve Cummins.