HELP! 5hp briggs running like crap.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hondalowlow, Nov 6, 2006.

1. hondalowlow

hondalowlow LawnSite Member

ok heres the deal.

i bought a go-kart with a 5hp briggs fun power engine on it.
    we ran and ran worked fine. my buddy buys a cart with the same engine on it but it dosent say fun power on the side cover, it just says 5hp. and it runs like bat out of hell. extremily crazy torque and fast.both are chain driven why is mine running like ****?

my 5hp
    when you slide the cart around in gravel the engine dies and stalls.
    "note its wide open throttle at this point" govener disconnected.
    dual wheel drive - solid axle

my buddys 5hp
    runs crazy fast and lots of torque, spins the whole time. sounds different.
    more pressure comming out of exhaust than mine "when you put your hand behind it you can feel it"
    he has 1 wheel wonder. "1 wheel drive"

why is my engine lackig so much power compared to his???

please reply or e-mail me

thank you.

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

That is one big difference between "live axle" (both wheels pull) and single wheel pull. When you throw the kart into a power spin it stalls the engine down a little cause it can't spin both rear wheels. Ever notice with your kart how the front wheels plow when trying to start forward from a stop with wheels cut hard either left or right and the inside wheel when in a turn turns the same # of revolutions as the outside wheel ? It also causes rapid wear on both the drive tires and steers since it is pushing all the time. Now if the engine bellows out black smoke in a power spin and stalls down it could be a float issue or carb adjustment issue. Hope this is helpful to you.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with FIXDISS on this one.....Hmmm, Get with your buddy and swap engines. Bet his will do the same on your cart as yours does.

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Just for "S&G" you can take one wheel off and remove the key from the axle then lube that shaft up with some wheel bearing grease and replace wheel. It will be amazing how much different your cart will act but this will wear the wheel out that you removed the key from.