HELP...60 Grit wheel for 4.5 angle grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocalalawns, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

Where do you people buy 60 grit grinding wheels for 4 1/2" angle grinder, for sharpening your blades? I checked home depot and harbor freight and the wheels have no grit number on them and no one in the store know.Thanks for any help.

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

I don't know what the grit is, but that is what I use. Harbor freight box of 10. You get what you pay for, and better ones will last longer.

3. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

Do you know the item number on the box? Are they the grinding wheels or the sanding pads?

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In Norton's mediums are 40-60. Coarse is 24-36. I usually buy them from Home Depot.

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

harbor freight 10 pack is 6674

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a higher grit flap wheel grinding disc. It grinds cooler so the blade stays harder.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 60 grit flap sander in my angle grinder for sharpening mower blades. I've seen these at Lowes and have bought them at Tractor Supply.

The flap sander in a variable speed angle grinder seems to give me plenty of control in removing metal without turning the edges blue.

Why do the edges turn blue if you grind without letting them cool or cool them with water ? It is because there is no place for the heat to go near the edges and it just keeps getting hotter unless its cooled. Learned this back with I was learning to weld.

Nosmo

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a source:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4F750

You need to establish an account with them to order. I just ordered a pack of 5, 36 grit. The 60 grit was given to me by another party, and it worked very well. It is worn out now, and I decided to order a courser grit. I have not yet tried them out, so can't comment on 60 vs. 36 grit.

The Tiger Disk is superior to the 40 grit Norton flap disk I found at Home Depot. It runs much smoother (better balanced ...?), and lasted longer.

After trying several techniques over the years, I found the 4 1/2" angle grinder, with the flap disk to be the best sharpening device for me needs. I only sharpen about 10 blades per week. It is quick, does a good job, and I can keep the angle on the blade. If one was sharpening many blades per week, then a blade sharpener is undoubtedly the way to go. But, for 10, I think this combination is the best.

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Try a welding supplier in your area

ericg likes this.
  10. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

where would i go about getting a 4 1/2 grinder at?