HELP a GaL - Can't get it healthy!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by turt, Jun 14, 2005.

1. turt

turt LawnSite Member

We planted over 700 lbs. of Rebel Supreme Fescue in April. Used over 80 bails of straw. Most of it just stunted after emerging. Grew just above the surface, wants to turn yellow. SOme came in thick dark green TALL the started to shrivel and die (turn brown). I water about 20min every area in the evening but just cannot seem to make it thrive. I fertilized in May, even put down 700 lbs of lime pellets. Some areas will green up and look good, then just start yellowing and dieing. In the back yard even worse. Have areas that are just a foot or so in diameter looking lush, but most everything else in yellish and stunted. Areas that never get watered look about the same as those I water. Most of the top soil I belive is river bottom mud. It looked real good but dries as hard as nails. Is there any expert out there that knows what is going on? The weeds seem to thrive pretty good but not the expensive grass. HELP a GAL please!

2. BNC SERVICES

BNC SERVICES LawnSite Member

oops wrong post

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Get a soil test done.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, get a soil test and quit watering in the evening!

5. turt

turt LawnSite Member

Is there a problem with evening watering? I thought it would give it a chance to soak in without the sun evaporating it.

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Grass stays wet for too long and promotes fungus. You want to water in the early morning, let the grass dry out before the dew hits. It is important for the grass to be dry as long as possible. Golf courses will even remove dew with a hose in the early AM during bad outbreaks.

7. turt

turt LawnSite Member

Before the dew? When would that be? Right at sun rise?

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Dew gets on the grass in the evenings when temps lower. If you water when you get home, Say 5 pm the grass is wet until say 9 or 10 am (just an example but in this one the grass would be wet for 16 or 17 hours). If you water in the early am say 6 am, it has a chance to dry out before the dew arrives later in the evening. Same example above starting at 6 am, the grass is only wet 4 or 5 hours.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for picking up my slack, Marko! :waving:

10. turt

turt LawnSite Member

Thanks to both of you. Good information (that I had not heard before). Here is what I am dealing with if you want to see.

http://www.kurtnsue.com/images/Houseconstruction/day87.htm

You guys have a wealth of experience and that is why I ask. After reading a lot of these threads, I see there are "professionals" out there that truely take pride in their work. I have taken on many of the projects for this new house myself because "professionals" seem to be in short supply. My Landscaper, if you can call him that, drove around on a bobcat for weeks. he would have it all level ready for planting and "nothing". Then it would rain, wash away ruts, pack everything down. He would wait till it dried out, then do it all over again. Believe me, we did not have much rain during this time. From the time he first had it ready to plant grass seed, 5 weeks went by and a $2500 bill came it, yet not one seed was planted. So I fired him and me and my wife rented a pulverizer, leveled, seeded (700lbs), and strawed (85 bales) in ONE WEEKEND. OK, I vented. I'm installing an irrigation system myself because I can't "trust" the subs in this area. Too many bad experiences.