Help a newb

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GroundUp, Jan 15, 2006.

1. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Ok. I'm very excited and ambitious. I'm on a very limited budget. Ive bought a used Zturn 42". A small truck and a small trailer. of course i also have a small 22" push mower and a weed wacker. What else do i need? I'm not experienced, So im interested on the best way to start out. Im looking to jump into this head first. What other services can i add to my flyer besides mowing lawns? also what kind of equip would i need to do these jobs. For somebody that doesnt have 10k plus to start out what would you suggest? (In other words, for somebody that HAS to start small and build his way up. How would you go about doing this?)

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

first make sur this is what you want to do before you buy alot on equipment. then decide what you want to get into and read as much about it as possible when istarted getting into more than maintenance i spent hours in the library reading up on stuff. A good service for the spring would be to offer clean-up usaually start doing them about a month before we start mowing.low investment and can make some decent cash
  3. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Oh I'm sure this is what i want to do. Even if the market is saturated (which its not) I could push the others out with quality persistance and hardwork. Some people want to do it to make a quick buck. Not me. I want to do this for a living. Anyway, cleanup sounds nice. But could you be more specific? And you didnt really answer my question. but thanks for the reply non-the-less.:waving:

oh yea. And ive been reading ALL DAY EVERYDAY for the past month (at least)
    but the more advice i get. the better
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget a backpack blower.:waving:
  5. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I agree....a backpack blower is a huge addition.
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Slow down a bit first off and do careful research. Yes you need some more equipment but I suggest really learning the business basics by reading a lot here. What you see is only a small portion of the wealth of info here. Up toward the right hand corner there is a search box where you can research any subject/topic here and probably come away with some great info to speed up the process. You don't have to wait that way. Ask all the questions you want.
    I'd say first off slow down a bit and take an assessment of everything you have available to use and where you have weaknesses. Plan out your business. So many start each year and under price hurting themselves and the industry. One book I recommend for a newbie is by Joel LaRusic. Pretty thorough for a beginner. Also may want to try out the stuff by Lawncare Success on here. Anyway welcome and good luck!:waving: :waving:
  7. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much. One more quesiton about a blower. Why do i need this? just to keep the grass i cut in the yard and off the sidewalk? And also. does it have to be a backpack blower? Because I have a gas powered blower in my garage. But its not a backpack. What are the extra strengths of a backpack blower?

Also if you could give me a rule of thumb for pricing, that would be much help.
    i know there are factors like trees and other stuff you have to mow around. But is their any formula i can go by, so i dont end up screwing myself?:waving:
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Backpacks are really for fall cleanups. Your handheld is fine for cleaning off walks and driveways. When it comes to fall cleanups, get a BP blower!!
  9. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

thank you very much
  10. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Groundup, you may not want to hear this and I could be wrong but it seems like you should gain some more knowledge before completely going on your own. I am by no means a master or even close but Id like to lend some advice that helped me. is a big help, search, search, and search but I think the best way to learn is to work for a reputable company in your area first. Even if it is only for a few months. You will learn so much knowledge by working with someone, you will learn things about equitment, repairs, actual techniques for cutting, trimming hedges, etc, and probably even pick up some helpful information on marketing and how to price your lawns. I cut my own lawn at home for many years and a few neighbors, then worked for someone for a year, and now am doing it on my own. I think it is very useful to work for someone that knows well. I still give my old supervisor a call every once in a while for help on certain things. However, I dont want to discourage you from going on your own I just think you will learn a lot of good info if you worked for someone else, even if its only a month or two.