1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help a newbee MP Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bubbatex0, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Bubbatex0

Bubbatex0 LawnSite Member

A question for those who have installed the MP Rotors- Are the charts pretty accurate on the radius.Trying to design for 34' x 48' section. Any suggestions on the layout? It seems that I could use 4 MP3000's set at each corner with 90 deg setting and overlap very well., Maybe with a 3000 in the middle also.

Thanks,
    Bubbatex0

2. Bubbatex0

Sorry meant a 1000 in the middle. It will not let me edit 1st post.

Bubbatex0

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

A basic rectangle box of 34' x 48'? With the MP I would go with 3 rows of 4 MP2000's or a lesser version would be two outside rows of (3) MP3000's and two MP2000's in the middle.

To each their own.

4. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

The mp's are great where I have used them. I have seen virtually zero problems in the field. The only issue I have run into is that the radius can only be adjusted downward a certain amount. I am sure this is to keep the unit working properly, but it doesnt really matter when your are waiting to get paid on the job, and some homeowner is crying because there is 6" of overspray hitting the street. They do seem to have very good coverage. JW

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

So far I've found the 3000s, 2000s and strips to be pretty accurate as far as throw. I find the 1000s to be a little less than noted in the charts. Maybe it's just my experience.

I'm currently designing the manual to automated renovation of a front island (between an angle parking area and the street sidewalk) in front of one of our high schools solely with MPRs. The area is quite elliptical on one side with widths anywhere from 7' to 30' over the 500' length of the area, and then a rectangular planter on each end. I plan on doing it with a mixture of 3000s, 2000s, 1000s and strips on a total of four 1-1/2" Hunter ICV valves and a four station Hunter WVC.

What do you mean "overlap very well?" They should be as close to head-to-head as possible and I don't know of an MPR model that will throw 48'. You can mix and max the various models also in the same zone and I've found this to work quite well. Personally I'd put in three rows of 2000s if you're set on using MPRs in this area; 4 90s, 4 180s, 1 360. You can tone down the radii a little, use a pressure regulator on the valve to maintain a certain PSI insuring a specific radius or even throttle down the flow control on valves that have these to balance things out. There's several ways to tune in the area.

6. Bubbatex0

Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I was thinking with that sorry excuse for coverage :confused: Just a stupid homeowner trying to learn.
    Which one of these do you think would work the best- Have 2 file attachments. Sorry for the bad drawings but they should be close enough.

Also I intend on getting the Hunter 1" PVG 101g with flow adjustment valves. What is the opinion on these valves? Are they better than the SRV series?
    With the MP Rotors I am using a 1" main with 3/4" trunk lines to many of the heads. According to the pros I should also use swing pipe from the 3/4" to heads, The swing pipe fittings are pretty small ID, will this affect the performance of the heads ( not as much water supply) Water is 65-70 static psi at 15 gal a minute.

Thanks a lot I have been reading through this site for my configuration and you guys know your stuff. :) Please let me know if I am on the right track.
    I also am doing the rest of my yard I just have to do it a section at a time.

Bubbatex0

Attached Files:

7. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

Put nine in there and let it rip. Don't over design the thing or you will never get it in the ground, and it will cost you more than it would to hire someone to do it. 1/2" swing pipe will provide all the water you need to run mp's, no worries there.

8. PurpHaze

Use the second schematic.:)

9. PurpHaze

Or like this. :)

Attached Files:

10. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

Purphaze,

What software did you use to do that?