Help a newbie w/ideas on business...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by clemsonfan69, Nov 23, 2004.

1. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I plan on doing mostly residential properties. Whats the best route via contracts?

Monthly, 6-Month, Annual?
    - Sub categories of Weekly maintainence, or Bi-Weekly

What about per-cut? Anyone go this route to pick up extra cash?

**PS:Just so ya know, my 'routine' per yard is: Mowing, Weedeating, Edging and Cleanup (ie. Blower to clean off driveways).

-CJ

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most will agree, price per cut/visit and bill at end of month. The others work a 12 month contract. Add estimated amount of cuts X fee = TOTAL. Divide TOTAL by 12 months and there ya go.

Good luck

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do both per cut and 12 month flat rate. By 2006 I want all customers to be on a flat rate plan

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I charge per cut and bill monthly. Helps cut down on paperwork, mailing, stamps etc. It also helps me to stay organized

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I should had made myself more clear, I send out invoices each month, with either the number of times they were serviced that month, or if it is a flat rate

I used to send out every 3 to 3 1/2 weeks, but that started to get costly and take up too much time with repeated billing over and over again.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have 95% of my customers on a flat rate and the other 5 are by the cut and send out invoices once a month.

7. Bushwhacked

Bushwhacked LawnSite Member

Is it hard collecting on those invoices, especially just starting out? I'm really leary about mowing for a month and then waiting another week to get paid.
    :realmad:

8. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I'm with Whacked, this year I am going to 100% flat rate with either 6,9,or 12 month payment options. I hope it works. Contracts are very detailed. I will be sure to let everyone know what happened at the end of the next season.

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

for the 12 month billers, have you experienced any problems with slow payers during the winter months, ala "outta sight, outta mind"?

tony
    (who after 125+ posts has finally asked a question. i use the search feature A LOT...)

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I billed every 2 weeks when I first started out. You need the capital as soon as possible at the beginning of your new venture. Another thing I did when I started was to stick with residentials for the first year. It taught me a lot about customer service and what it means to service people properly (being dependable, honest, customer relations). Then take that with you when you go in to speak with the owner or manager of a commercial property.