Help a newbie with a church bid, quick!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisvinky, Jun 26, 2008.

1. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

I know you guys don't like to do this, but I really need some insight on a church bid that I have to give today. I measured all the grassy areas and it is 1.09 acres.

They also want all the landscaping weeded and there is about 500' in length and 6' average width that is in deperate need of some new mulch. I am hoping to talk them into a mulch install!:)

I would usually just bid about $40 for an acre with a normal amount of trimming, but this place has ALOT of sidewalks, parking lots, trees, etc to trim around. Not the mention the weeding. I figure I will spray what weeds I can and pull the rest, so the first time will be the worst.

Any idea on how to bid this?? So much for foot of trimming, etc... I am confused on this abnormal amount of trimming.:confused:

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

65 for the mowing. How long to do the weeding? Hourly rate then a once a month fee. 65 for the mowing is just standard 1 acre mowing you have to decide about the triming. 40 for a acre is to cheap with todays gas prices.....

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with this exactly.

4. chrisvinky

I ended up bidding $110.

I figured 1 hour to mow and another hour to trim, edge and pull weeds. Plus a lot of exposure as a perk as there are about 500 members and it is on a highly traveled street

Now I have to wait and see if i got it!:cool2:

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW, there sure is a diffrence in marketts, from area to area.......

I would have bid that at 225.00

I keep my time around 140 to 175 an hour, me and a helper

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Im moving to Bellville! haha i thought i was high!

7. justgreen

justgreen LawnSite Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!.. me too

8. chrisvinky

I am solo. If I need help I have several buddies I can get for $10 - $15 an hour.

9. justgreen

justgreen LawnSite Member

I too, am solo running a fairly profitable operation. I am running a Walker with a helper at $13/hour who works hard and efficient. But these are long days. I'm trying to bring in revenue of $80/hour and I feel good about this. I just don't understand trying to make more than twice that an hour and getting work with those types of prices. I'd do it if I could, but I wouldn't have enough business to keep me busy for a full day...

10. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

Who pay's that kind of money in the Houston area?