Help a newbie!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to have your recomendations.

-Need to put in edging around a new yard. Single row, with landscape rock behind it.
    -Edging material is concrete edging "bricks" (the kind you can buy at many places, bull nose interlock with next.

Have seen instructions that say to just dig trench, put up a line for straigtness & height, and set away, using dirt, sand to level.

Is this correct? Do you need to overexcacate, fill with sand, compact?

Probably a simple matter to you pro's, but .....

Thanks!

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

its not a wall or walkway, you may get some heaving but if it just used for holding back mulch who cares.

3. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

I would dig a trench by hand (pick and shovel). Once complete we use the excavated soil mixed with portand cement to relay the curb/edging. The portland mix can be done by 2 to 3 shovels dirt to 1 shovel portland (Not too much water). I particulary like this installation because the portland ties everything together and gives you some support if height is a problem. Furthermore once dry it keeps the edge straight and supports it when the people walk on it, hit it with the lawnmower and or wheel barrow over it. Also by mixing the portland with the dirt it dries like the color of the soil. keep the portland low enough to backfill in front of the block(grass,pavers or whatever) and a little higher behind the block for support. We usually get $12 to $15 a running foot. All you need to buy is portland and edging.

Keep the portland mix tight/dry it will support the block when you need it to so you can keep your heights. Also lay 10 to 15 feet and let the portland set for about 15 minutes. As it starts to dry you can adjust the curb/edging for plumb and level if it looks off.

Good luck

4. Dirt Boy

Thanks guys, I know you can just lay them down and get it to look nice, but I'm always a little concerned how it's going to look in a year or two. With all the frost, and damage i.e. mowing, etc. that happens, I don't want to do it and then have it look like crud after a while because I was too cheap to do it right the first time.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

its a matter of perspective, and what i was trying to say is that if you cheep out on a wall and it heaves, that will look like crap. but people are used to seeing edging follow the contours of the land so i don't think it would look bad so don't worry about a base.

on the otherhand, if your losing sleep over this than you know what you need to do.

6. Dirt Boy

Nope, not losin' any sleep, in fact I did the job, dug it out, used sand for fill, ran a vibratory packer over it, set it close to grade, set the edge, and used a mallet to pound down to line.
    And I under charged about 300% so, he can't complain at all anyway.

Actually, it turned out looking very good. I just kinda want it to stay that way for a while!!

Thanks

7. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have any pix?
    How many blocks did it take to complete?
    Just wondering because I am trying to price one up for some one and it involves several flower beds totaling around 406 LN. FT. two corces high. But the big problem is that they are keeping everything thats in it now, shrubs, flowers,plants etc. so that means we'll have to work around many things to scrap top layer off. I afraid that I'm in over my head on this one. Will have to bring in a lot of help. But I thought I'll just get prices on material and figure out labor cost and hope that I'm close on that one and just price high.

8. Dirt Boy

Don't have any pic's. I need to take some, because it turned out looking pretty good.
    I think I only charged about $375, (labor only) if I remember right, it was about 150', single course, edgeing was brick from Menard's each one 11" long. I'm sure I was too cheap, 1 day to do it. It was bare ground, I did the grading, then edging, fabric underlayment, and rock on top.