Help about Hydro oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Apr 9, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I kinda got a problem, when I got my Scag SWZ, the guy I bought it from said to use Mobil1 or Castrol synthetic 20W50 for the hydraulic fluid. When I went to AutoZone today, the guy told me that this was the wrong kind of oil to be used but he didn't know which kind would be best. It would be great if any Scag Hydro users could tell me which oil to use cause I'm confused. I've always used 20W50. That's what the guy at the dealer told me to use also.
  2. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

I think I would listen to the guy at the scag dealer he should know
  3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a turf tiger and i have always used castrol 20w 50, it seems to work fine and that is what the scag book says to use.:alien:
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The SWZ manual that I just looked at said to use 10w30. Since you don't have a manual you should go to and download the manual for your mower.
  5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

after richard posted that it took 10w30, i went back and looked at my manual and it said 20w50, my scag is a 2000 model, it may depend on what year that you have got. but thanks richard for opening my eyes to that, i'm glad that i went back and looked again because i really don't want to replace those d#@m pumps for putting the wrong oil in them.

williams lawn mgmt
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I believe 10W-30 is what you want. I would ask your authorized SCAG dealer's service manager or head mechanic. It says 10W-30 in the manual. If you DO use 15 or 20W-50, you may have to let it warm up a bit on cold mornings. Only time I'd use that thick of oil would be in the South where it never sees less than 50 degrees!

I believe the Tigers DO use the 20W-50, yardman1, but since Lawnkid is asking about a totally different mower, you may be steering him wrong!
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at my owner's manual and it also says 10W30 motor oil. My operator's manual only applies to the Scag's with serial numbers 40000 to 49999 and it says to use 10W30. The ones newer to 49999 probably only use 20W50. I think it might say 20W50 for the peolpe in the southern states because like TLS said only the ones in the south need it. They probably do this so they don't have to make 2 seperate operator's manuals for the same machine but in different parts of the country. I think I'll switch to 10W30 like the manual says. Thanks for all the posts
  8. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Lawn kid, Look on your hydro units, Many Scags use Hydrogear brand units. there will be a tag stating this on your pumps. If it is a Hydrogear, they recommend using Mobil 1, 20w-50 synthetic. I have contacts to hydrogear with the distributor in the midwest. Also have had training at the Hydrogear factory in Sullivan Illinois. REMEMBER keep your oil clean, and air out of your lines. These are the two biggest killers of a hydro unit. Good luck.