Help adjusting Dixon z-drive

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mattrlang, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mattrlang

mattrlang LawnSite Member

I have an older Dixon ztr-30 with a z drive transaxle. Recently, one of the two eye bolts towards the rear of the drive system broke. I have had a heck of a time getting the thing to drive correctly after replacing the broken bolt. First it was just with the one side I had replaced, but due to my idea of taking the other side loose to see how it was adjusted, I now have both sides out of whack. Can anyone offer any information about adjusting these bolts, or should I continue with the trial, test drive, readjust, test again ... method. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the adjustments on a dixon, But when I need to track a unit I jack the rear tires off the ground jump the seat switch and with the sticks in neutral start the engine and run at least 1/2 throttle then adjust the linkage to where the tires don't move.
    Then I take it out and test ride, If it still tracks to one side I adjust the slower side a half turn at a time until it goes stright. Also make sure rear tire pressure is the same in both before tracking.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're still having trouble with this, make sure the clearance between the cones and each discup are about the same when it's in neutral. When you adjust the discups in and out, they should be perpendicular to the frame of the transaxle assembly (I have found that this really isn't critical).

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

It's been a long time since I did this, but I thought that the eye bolts are at the front of the transmission unit. Are you talking about the ones that screw into the transmission frame? If so, there are nuts on the rod on either side of the eye bolt. If I remember correctly, these have to be moved a little to get the torsional rod to be in the correct position.

This means loosening one nut and tightening the other. Then there are the adjustable links between the control sticks and that torsional rod.

All that said, the one that I have, which my Dad is now using and it is over a hundred miles from here, is a VERY old unit. I have looked at the transmission on newer units and although they still use the cones, they are quite different.

Also, worn cones can cause it to be difficult to adjust. Are the cone bearings in good shape?

Hope this helps,
    Doc

5. steve45

Likewise, Doc, the eyebolts on mine are at the front.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

There is a factory adjustment tool that is required to do a cone adjustment right. Usually only dealers were issued them, tho I have seen them selling on ebay for 20 or 30 bucks.

Finding a nice dixon mechanic that could kinda talk you thru it may be your best bet. I had a cone drive 30" "commercial" unit when I was starting out. I took it to the dealer for adjustments and they took 2 tries to get it to my satisfaction... Very hard to make adjustments and have it work so that both sticks are in the same position going in a straight line...

7. steve45

Are you talking about the triangular-looking plate that sets the discups perpendicular to the frame crossbar? I've got one. Don't use it anymore because I've found that it's NOT critical.