Help adjusting RPM's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ridin' Green, Jul 26, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Just add a blown 572 on there and you should get the fpm your looking for hahahaha

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

WOW...... All this just to tweak the RPM back up to factory spec !?!?! [​IMG]

3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

No kidding!!!

Hard to believe there are still mowers that don't come with a tach!!

4. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

If the governor is adjusted correctly, shouldn't the rpm's stay steady whether there's a load applied to the engine or not? I checked mine and without a load the tach reads 3590 and with a load it reads 3587. If it's not staying close and you adjust it under load, will it not over rev when you remove the load. I would expect it would. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The amount of load depends on the deck and design of the pulley system. I adjusted mine today to run at 3620 off load and now it run at 3580-3590 on load.

6. Restrorob

Ridin' Green....... Dixie Chopper sets high speed no load RPM on Kawasaki/Kohler and Generacs at 3750, That gives around 3650-3660 under load which is plenty close enough to no load RPM to not cause any issues and allows the engine to stay closer to it's power output range.

One doesn't run a car/truck/boat/motorcycle etc. etc. wide open with no load so there's no need in doing so with a mower.......

7. lildevil_66

RestroRob,

Based on the information you provided above should I set my Kaw to 3750? I don't think my tach is faulty considering I have checked it with 3 different quality tachs including contact and non-contact tachs. The
    Snap-On tach I use is one of the better ones on the market. I am just looking to get the most out of the equipment yet keep it in safe operating ranges. Thanks in advance.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I thought about doing that to mine, but figured that since I was getting 3580+ on load it was close enough and a tiny bit easier on the engine over the long haul, plus my dealer can be a PITA if there are any issues under warranty and the things is adjusted out of spec.

9. Restrorob

I can't tell you to set your machine to those specs, All I'm doing is sharing what another OEM sets their equipment to. If the engine has high hours I wouldn't tweak one up quite that far, But still we're not talking that much more but doing so can make a difference in ground speed and cut quality.......

As I mentioned, I've never seen a engine drop so little when a load is applied...... Not that it couldn't happen......

10. lildevil_66

Thanks Restro, I appreciate the info. The mower has just under 1500 hours so I think I will leave it be. The QOC seems to be good considering all the bad vibes the SFS decks get around here. Hopefully there's still plenty of years left in the unit, it's served me well thus far