1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP! advice for installing A/C in my truck!?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tsmiff1, Apr 12, 2003.

1. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have a '88 chevy 1ton scottsdale. Great truck, but it is a base model without air. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get air installed the simple, affordable and effecient way? Your advice will be most appreciated, especially if you have either done this yourself or knows someone who has. I cannot afford a new truck right now so please hold those comments.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sorry--I can't tell you how to do it but it is a huge job. just setting the compressor on the block and changing out the pulleys will be a bear. good luck!

3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

going from hot to cold and back is really hard on your body. my car has ac and i dont use it when im working because it just makes u worn out
  4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

If your looking to reallly save money....our local auto parts store sells a 6 or 8 inch fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter for around $15-$20...Not too sure on what to tell you as far as installing actual AC...

Maybe try posting this in the Truck forum...or Mechanics forum...

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You would need a donor truck and a lot of time. I do crazy mecanical swaps all the time but wouldn't attempt that.
  6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You have got a condensor, evaporator, pump, controls, wiring and will probably have to change some of the original stuff that you mightnot even thing would have to be. Good luck. There are aftermarket a/c systems out there somewhere.
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The best advice that I can give you........let someone install it. A mechanic that knows what he is doing. Its a great big headache. If it was me, I wouldn't do it. I'd get rid of the truck and get one with a/c:D
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

An '88 one ton Scottsdale, sounds like the older '73 to '87 era cabs, is it?

If so, I had an aftermarket A/C in my '76 Chevy. It looked real simple! Nice compressor ran off an add on v-belt pulley, and the inside part was non obtrusive. It mounted below the glove box and ran across the lower portion of the dash. That thing really froze you out. Sure wish todays A/C in trucks and cars would cool like this did!

If its not an older body style, your probably SOL for "add ons" but may consider a donor vehicle.

That, or.....BUY A NEW TRUCK!!!

Now you have a legitimate reason to !!!

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

In 1987, when I moved from Pittsburgh to my present location (Central Florida), I priced an aftermarket AC unit for my 1982 S-10 pickup. All parts and installation at that time (1987) would of run me around $1000. I have no idea what they would cost now. I'm sure you can find these units on the internet if you do a search.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try looking up An ARA Aftermarket unit. i Have put them in Older chevys Before with No Problems. But if You have the style that has the dash With the funky Speedo I Have Not Done one Of those. You Can also Go With a Hanger Unit, The Only Problem With Them is They blow from the Middle of the dash and not from The side (HOT LEFT SIDE OF HEAD). If you Need anything else Just Yell.