Help Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ncstate, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ncstate

ncstate LawnSite Member

hey guys it about that time to startup again and i was testing my equipment this weekend and one of my mowers has two blades want to cut at different position so it look like one deeper than the other one. anybody i have any advice i can do

:usflag:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds bent,i would recommend new blades for heavy spring growth,old blades sometimes we keep em for mowing in mid summer in dry times when there is not much grass to cut.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure isnt upside down .beleive it or not i have done it before .it make syou feel:dizzy: :hammerhead:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it completely square on the cut, and the whole blade is cutting lower, or is it lower on the side edge? If is is square, then rules out a crooked deck (like a low tire). If it is not a bent blade or spindle, it could also be a dropped spindle. Depending on the male of the mower, what happens is - from the top of the deck, the bearing and/or the snapring pops out of the groove and slips upward. The whole spindle then slides down and is then loosened up a bit. From further bouncing up and down, it can drop even further. I have an old JD walkbehind that used to do that. After changing the snapring, it was ok, but what I did also, was remove the spindle, then with a hacksaw, I carefully went around it (with the spindle in the vice with blocks of wood) and deepened the groove. You can tell this is what happened by looking across the tops of the spindles and making sure they are all level (use a straight edge if necessary). If they are all level, then it MAY be a bent spindle. Oh, also, check all your blades, not only for bending or warping, but also, if you mis-match some blades, some are thicker than others, and believe it or not, this can affect the cutting, also. I hope this helps, and let us know what you find out.

5. ncstate

ncstate LawnSite Member

thanks guys i try it i will get back in a couple of days