1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!!!!!!!!alot Of Box Woods.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Inman's lawn care, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I have a new customer that has 240 Box woods lining the sides of there driveway and 100 other bushes and hedges.
    I usally charge 5.00 for small & 10.00 for large to extra large shrubs and bushes.

Now i dont feel right giving this person a bill for $2,500.00 for trimming and clean up, althought i know they could afford it. Also I want this person for all the work they have done and they have alot of yard work done. I have known this person and they are a very picky person on clean up and perfection. what should I charge?
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Charge $2500.00.

When you bring your vehicle to your mechanic, does he think to himself, "Well, sheesh, I dont feel right charging this guy X-amount for working on this vehicle, because after all, he has a couple more vehicles that he brings in every year for servicing and I really wanna work on those too, and he's awful picky and demands perfection from me, so, I guess I will just charge him less than I would anybody else.."

Does this line of thinking make any sense at all?
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I could understand a "bulk Discount" as most homes dont have that many shrubs. I've never seen a flat rate for shrub trimming before....Neat concept...
  4. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

Why not just offer them a 5-10% "discount" since they are loyal customers.

As long as you do a good job they should not mind the price.
  5. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

I would do a discount due to... if you went there to do one bush you would have gas in your truck, travel time, etc... up to about 5- maybe 10 shrubs or so I would go full rate. After that I would start to discount per every so many due to you are already there no travel time gas etc...
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

are they individually shaped? or just a hedge? obviously this would translate into much different completion times. Figure how many you can do an hour, figure out how much you want to make... problem solved.
  7. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

They are individually shaped.

After further review they have - 300 box woods individually shaped.
    Then about 150 hedge or squared out/or shaped up removing alot of new growth.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats going to be a looong day of hedge trimmer, I hope you have a light trimmer! 'Cause your arms are going to be killing you!. I did about 125' of 7' tall privet and shaped about a dozen boxwoods, yews yesterday in about 3hrs. I would guess you'll be around 8-9hrs+ cleanup. Sounds like you could have a good $$$ day