Help. Any Gateway owners please respond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently run a 36" Belt drive for my gated yards and I am debating the following purchases.

1. 36" Hydro fixed deck WB $4050.00 (re-use old bagger)
    or
    2. 52" Great Dane "Gateway" $5560.00 (with bagger)

I just cant decide which one to buy. The Gateway makes sense but I am scared that it might not be as manuverable in tight areas. I should see a productivity increase just by going to a hydro and I dont know if the Dane is worth $1500.00 more?
    Any opinions? Real world experience?

Thanks
    Jim

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I like the GateMaster by Hustler. They will start to market them in the fall. I am considering a purchase, but I am starting to have my doubts about whether or not to keep my 32" instead.

gm2.jpg

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That looks like it would be good to trim the sides of a long hedgerow!!!:D :D

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should hold out for the Hustler Gatestar. Gatestar is the new name for it. Should be an awesome mower.

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

All this talk & effort to get huge decks through small gates is counter-productive. Most yards with gates at or less than 36" are small & tightly landscaped. Using a bigger deck such as the Gateway, or Gatestar just adds trim time & decreases quality of cut on unneven terrain or lush growth. The Gatestar is a gimmick IMO.

I've used a Gateway & much prefer a 36" or 32" hydro through the gate.

I supose if you're gated yards are large, flat, without much landscaping & incur minimal growth the Gatestar & Gateway may work for you.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I will disagree with you. Gimmick? Nope, very good idea. I don't know your area, but many have larger back lawns than front. Most subdivisions around here have 4000-8000 sf back lawns. But there is only enough room for a 36" gate. Having the ability to take a larger Hydro back there is well worth the money. I used to run a 48" and 36" mowers. We would use the 48" anytime possible. Why? Time. Those 12" are worth lots and lots of time. Not everyone could use one, but for those that can it will be a great asset. Now if we can just get Mr. XLHustler to get them into production.;)

7. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I was looking into the Dane Gateway then the dealer told me that it won't fit through a 36" gate so I just kept using what I had. The Hustler looks real promising.

8. quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
    All this talk & effort to get huge decks through small gates is counter-productive. Most yards with gates at or less than 36" are small & tightly landscaped. Using a bigger deck such as the Gateway, or Gatestar just adds trim time & decreases quality of cut on unneven terrain or lush growth. The Gatestar is a gimmick IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I don't do many yards I/we can't get atleast a 52" in anymore, I do have to agree with Hoss.

In many of the areas I mow in they have rather large back lawns, and a 40" gate or less from house to property line is all you could fit, without going over the property line. I made gate and or sectoins into gates to allow us to use a bigger mower. None of these were out when I did this with the gates or I would have used a mower like the Gateway, Gatestar, or a 32"-36" hydro with a Flex Deck.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know for sure if the Hustler will ever hit production? I see that the Gatemaster is patent pending, but I dont know exactly what part is patented. Being that the Hustler "Gatestar"? pivots on the edge of the deck it might avoid any patents Dane has.

I have some tight back lawns and some open ones. The average gate is around 38-40" so I could fit the Gateway through them. My delima is the trimming aspect. I know a few areas that I can fit the 36" mower through (like between trees etc.) that I wont be able to fit the 52".
    Man this drives me nuts. When you only want to buy one mower and the right mower. FYI- I do have a 52" ZTR for normal open mowing.

Still cant decide :(

Jimbo

P.S. There is also the weight factor. The 36" Hydro I am looking at is 560lb, but the Gateway is around 730lb. anyone know what the Hustler Gatestar weights?

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree with you as well.

Most companies go through market research before they develop and manufacture a new product. Think of the tooling costs for manufacturing a new product such as the "Gatemasters".

If they are making them there is a demand. Just because you don't need or want on does not mean it's a gimmick.

MOST companies can't be profitable selling gimmicks.