HELP ASAP! Is my clutch dying?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, May 5, 2010.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey, all. I'm on my first hydro mower, so I have no expertise for diagnosing clutch problems.

I'm running a BOP Dually 44".

Last night, clutch wouldn't disengage the blades. Even if I turned off the mower entirely.

So this morning (with problem magically gone), I relubed the clutch with WD-40 via owner's manual, and head out to work.

On lawn #6, I could smell that strange odor of too-hot-metal-parts and stopped to inspect mower. Thought it was a loose spindle I'd known was about to fail. No biggie, I had the spare parts ready and waiting. Run home and replace the two remaining spindles so all three are new.

Fired up mower, and there is a clatter (might be too strong of a description, but something audible was not right). It's coming from my clutch.

I attempt to engage blades, but it will only slowly spin them (despite being at full throttle). Light smoke emanates from clutch (could be the WD-40 I just relubed it with).

If I lower the rpm, clutch will engage. Then I can raise up rpm and it would - ever so slowly - come up to speed.

So I quickly cut my front lawn (recently done, so only about 1/2" of growth). I notice blade speed dipping easily and frequently - despite not having to hardly work at all.

Am I diagnosing this properly? Is it normal for a clutch to slowly fail, rather than just quit instantly? How much time do I have before it's completely shot?

Thanks.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Replace it now. It's done.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Durnit. Not what I wanted to hear.

Anyone else want to cast their vote?

4. whoopassonthebluegrass