1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Asap!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Oct 25, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an echo hedge trimmer (on a shaft). I was using it yesterday and it just stopped working. The engine will rev at full throttle but the blade no longer moves. I adjusted the angle and the blade moved a little but stopped again and hasnt worked since. If this sounds common, What is the problem?
  2. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Not 100% SHERE but it sounds like your gear box is out or the drive shaft is broke.
  3. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Take the hedge trimmer head off of the drive shaft and pull the shaft from the tube. Inspect the shaft, if everthing is ok then reinstall. Next turn the shaft and make sure you feel some light resistance when the shaft is engaged into the clutch of the engine. If all that is good the pull the shaft out enough to engage it into the trimmer head, and turn by hand to see if the blades move. My bet is that something has gone wrong in the joint between the two adjustment halves of the head case. If you are mechanically inclined then disassemble the failed component to see if it is something simple. Hey, what ya got to lose??
  4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely your gear box is trashed. It's kinda like a ring and pinion set-up in the rearend of of a car or truck. It's at the end of the shaft where the head pivots. Happened on my stihl set last year.
  5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

worth replaceing or trash it?
  6. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

I'm bettin' it's a break apart/combination power unit with attachments and the power unit has only slightly come apart from the attachment. Happens all the time under load. Loosen the power unit at the knob and reattach. Should cure the problem. Happened to me all the time when I first started out in the business. Had to use whatever I could get my hands on.
    Get dedicated equipment. It saves all this hassle. Not to mention the extra weight your carrying around with the hook ups in the middle of the shaft.