Help Asap!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QUALITY LAWNCUTS, Mar 12, 2003.

1. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

OK wise ones tom. is the Exmark dealers Pro day for his once a year sale. Question is (if you didn't know I am new to the commercial lawncare bus) should I go with a hydro ExmarkTT HP 48" floating with 17 KAW. It has 20 hours on it and my dealer said he'd sell it to me for about $3,900 or go with a gear-drive Exmark metro 36" fixed 15 KOH for about $2,300 all input as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated being as I will making the purchase tom. Thanx, Dominic

2. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I would say it depends on what the size of most of your lawns are. It also depends on how much money you have to start out with. You still need trimmers, edgers, blowers and the such. A hydro is better in my opinion, but a gear is less $ up front, and they cut just as good. I also like a floating deck better than a fixed. Hope this helps you out.

3. grasschoppers lawn m

grasschoppers lawn m LawnSite Member

go with the 48" its an all around better deal. last year i bought a 36' yazoo and a 44 toro both walks, for about the same price your looking at. the 44" is much faster. If you can I would buy them both if you go with the just the 48" you will not be able to get into some back yards. so if your new at this I would try to get both. exmark has financing, right now I think it is buy now don't pay until oct. let me know how it works out for you.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If you have a 21" and don't plan to have many gated lawns definately TTHP. I've used one before with a sulky and mulch kit; awesome. However if you plan on alot of gated or really small lawns then the Metro 36 might be better. If not for the gates the TTHP might go about anywhere the 36 will because it's hydro (adds much maneuverability). The TTHP is going to be better on hills and will save alot of time and be easier and faster to use... Just depends your needs and what you can afford. The 36" is good the 48" is better.

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 2002 TTHP demo at the end of last year with about 40 hours on it for $4000. I really like this mower! I also got a mulch kit for it and a Pro-One sulky from the dealer. You can cut without the sulky but you will be dead at the end of the day. The hydro will let you get out of a tight spot alot easier than the gear drive will but once you get better you won't put yourself in those tight spots. You might still scalp with the floating deck but it will make it alot more forgiving. The only problem that I have had was with the choke adjustment. It seems when they are new it will not close all the way and you have a hard time cranking it. Once it is set correctly it will start up on the second or third pull even when it hasn't been started in several days. I don't have any customers that have just a walk-through gate so the width hasn't been that big of a deal to me.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Apples to oranges! Can't say without knowing what type of properties you plan to go after. If small residential then a 36" is a must. You can get the 48" after you get going and start to determine your needs. You may find you need something bigger than a 48" once you get some customers.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2002 TTHP 17 Kawi e/s and really like it. I wish I could have got it for $3900.00. Mine was $4900.00. I would personally go with the hydro for overall ease of use. Slap on an Exmark steerable sulky and your good to go. Good luck

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

First off how is a hydro more manuverable? I own a 48 hydro and a 36 belt drive. The hydro does make it quicker in and out of corners BUT the 36 can also do the job. That said I prefer the 48 hydro hands down. It is faster and therefore much more productive. Either skip the lawns with a small gate or else get used to using the 21". When I first started I wanted to get every lawn I could so I started with the 36". Now I turn down lawns if I can't use my 48. The 36 is only used on 4 gated lawns.

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

As others have said..... This really depends on the avg. lawn size in your area.....

That said.... I would take a 48" floating deck kawi powered hydro over a 36" fixed deck kohler any day.
    The smallest lawn I'm likely to come accross is 1/2 acre, and almost no gates..... those that do have gates in my area also usually have a larger gate on the property, so access is not a problem.
    I have not run the eXmark W/Bs, but I love my Lazer Z HP.... I'm sure you'll be happy w/ the quality of either machine.

Demo both if possible.. and compare what you like/dislike about each to how the machine will fit your needs.

NYRookie... where in NY are you?
    I'm in Dutchess County.

10. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I am amazed so many guys like floating decks. I have tried them and ended welding both of them solid. I don't seem to have as much control with them. When mowing by the road where there is a ditch or small swail you lift up on the deck, it flops and you get an uneven cut let alone spots you will scalp. Lesco has a 48" hydro, electric start, on sale now for $3100.00 and if you need, financing they will.